Back for More with Evan Lorberbaum of Encourage Life Originality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

We interviewed you back in September about your new digital t-shirt company Encourage Life Originality.  How has the company developed since then?    

Well, I haven’t been able to make as many designs because I’ve been doing a lot of internal work. This includes a lot of work on my end that isn’t seen by the public until awhile after. It’s all about delayed gratification. I’ve been working on putting together a new website, finding the right screen printer, and a producing a look-book to name a few.  A huge milestone for me occurred a few weeks ago- I made it into my first stores, which is really exciting. TRAFFIC, located at 125 Bienville St, downtown in the French Quarter; and Secret Society 914 located in Mount Kisco, Westchester, New York.

In September, you described how you love catering to peoples’ needs with the t-shirts, whether it is for friends or campus organizations such as fraternities and sororities.  Have you had much luck utilizing Tulane students for your business?

That’s a great question. I haven’t had much success reaching out to the entire Tulane student body, because I haven’t really started trying… yet. I understand that I’m a small brand right now, and can’t afford to spend on mainstream advertising at the moment. But that’s the beauty of starting this brand while still in school. Being surrounded by so many people with creative talent opens many unique opportunities to collaborate with like-minded people. There are so many aspects to running a business that allow for those who are interested to get involved. Obviously those who are graphic designers or artists first come to mind, but many people forget how crucial Social Media has become in today’s world. Imagine if everyone who read this article liked the Encourage Life Originality facebook page, or tweeted the link to their favorite shirt; it would have a HUGE impact.

What do you think has been your biggest challenge so far with the company?

I would have to say that the hardest part so far is understanding that this race is a marathon, not a sprint.  What I mean by that is although I know in my head what I want the company to look like years from now, I need to go at my own pace and not rush into things.  I understand that it takes time and that I should be in no rush to enter the “real world”. Through some of the arguments I have gotten into with my parents about this, I have learned that I really need to value these years because when they are over there’s no going back. And for that I thank them. My studies really are the most important thing right now and I understand that everything else will fall into place, at the right time.

What is the most rewarding part about having your own company?

I think the best part about it that I always have something to do. It may sound weird that I love always having “something on my plate” but I really enjoy building this company from the ground up. Literally. Whether it’s coming up with new designs, reading articles to learn more about the industry, or making loops to Magazine to Downtown and back looking for new stores, I truly enjoy making progress.  This company is a living, breathing, organism to me, and I will enjoy looking back at its evolution.

Now that it has been a few months, any new advice for student entrepreneurs?

Dream big or don’t dream at all.  It doesn’t matter what anyone else tells you, if you want something, go ahead and get it. I mentioned delayed gratification earlier. If you work as hard as you can now, you will enjoy the benefits later, and it will feel that much better. And finally, do what you love, love what you do.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Haha that’s a tough one.  I could be in New Orleans quite frankly.  I really love it here, and I’m really starting to find my niche with all of the opportunities that are starting to open. There’s really no other place like it in the world. Although, I would be very happy finding new outlets in New York or Los Angeles. It’s really hard to say, but I know I’ll be enjoying new experiences.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.