Baby, It’s Cold Outside: Must-Have Looks for Fall/Winter 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The cold weather has arrived, which means it is my favorite time of the year for fashion – boot season! Put away your shorts, sundresses and flip flops, and pull out your leggings, long sweaters and boots. Don’t let the cold weather deter you from going to class. Put on a cute outfit, grab your daily large cup of coffee, and bring on the end of the semester. Here are my favorite ways for staying warm and still looking cute for class.

1. Riding Boots:
As I said before, boot season is my favorite time of the year fashion-wise. I love boots, and have them in many different colors and looks. My favorite boots are flat riding boots, which I love to pair with sweaters and dresses, and leggings or tights. Riding boots can be dressed up with tights and a skirt, or worn casually with jeans and a top. They are sold everywhere, from Forever 21 to large department stores to Aldo. They are available in a multitude of colors, so choose the one (or five) that you love the most. My favorite this season is the Ciao Bella Two Tone Riding Boot from DSW.

2. Circle Scarf: Also called the loop scarf or infinity scarf, the circle scarf is just that: it is a ring-shaped scarf. It looks super cute with dresses, sweaters, blouses, etc. I love scarves because it is possible to wear the same outfit a few different times (guilty) without anyone noticing because the scarf changed. The circle scarves are very trendy and can be found everywhere, in many different patterns and colors. I love the Urban Renewal Remnant Circle Scarf from Urban Outfitters, which would look adorable with a plain black long-sleeved top, jeans, and tan riding boots or ballet flats.

3. Layers: Layers are your best bet during the colder months, as some buildings on campus like to overcompensate for the cold weather by creating sauna-like atmospheres in the classrooms. While it’s kind of them to turn on the heat, it makes learning a difficult if you’re dying in your wool sweater. Therefore, start off with a tank or tee; add a cardigan or light sweater, and a scarf. You’ll be able to survive your class while still looking cute.

4. Trench Coat: During the colder months, the most noticeable part of your outfit is your coat. While North Face jackets and puffy coats are worn to stay warm, there are many coat options that will keep you warm while looking cute. My favorite is the trench coat, which accentuates the female hourglass figure, and is a perfect addition to any winter outfit. Trenches come in many colors, but I suggest a neutral color that would go well with any outfit, like this wool trench from Victoria’s Secret.

Catherine Combs is a Tulane University Alumna, who majored in Communications and Political Science. She  has always had a soft spot for books, writing, and anything Chanel. When not searching for the final touches to her latest outfit idea, she can be found reading.