An Ode to New Orleans: The Princess and the Frog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

In 2009, Disney’s animated princess movie, The Princess and The Frog, rocked the world with a new spin on the German folk tale “The Frog Prince.” This absolute must-watch Disney movie comprises a combination of incredible music, vibrant cultural ties, diverse representation, and a wonderful fairytale.

Princess Tiana & prince naveen

As an ultimate girl boss, ambition and motivation fuel Princess Tiana to work incredibly hard so that she can afford to open her own restaurant. Throughout the film, Tiana learns to let go and embrace change while still striving to accomplish her dreams.

As my favorite Disney prince, Prince Naveen of Maldonia is an incredibly attractive and sarcastic man visiting New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Witnessing the world as someone recently stripped of his fortune, Naveen grows to understand the value of hard work and honesty.

New Orleans

The film’s features of gumbo, voodoo, streetcars, Mardi Gras, and jazz music highlight some of the incredible aspects of New Orleanian culture. As an incredibly vibrant city, New Orleans creates an atmosphere of triumph and joy while Tiana and Naveen venture toward their goals.

The Soundtrack

The soundtrack fully embodies the traditional jazz music style of New Orleans, which gets amplified by the prominent use of brass instruments. My favorite song from the soundtrack, “Almost There,” has a motivating and uplifting energy that is perfect for any gloomy day. The movie’s music keeps you dancing and grooving throughout the entire film.

Soundtrack Favorites: “Dig A Little Deeper,” “Down in New Orleans,” “Ma Belle Evangeline,” and “Almost There”

Diversity

As the first African-American Disney princess, this movie allowed young black girls to see someone who looked like them as a princess. The movie’s setting in the diverse city of New Orleans also led to numerous people-of-color characters being the main characters, which had not often been the case in other Disney movies.

Enemies to Lovers arc

As a big fan of an enemies-to-lovers story arc, Tiana and Naveen’s story becomes easily one of my favorite romances in the realm of Disney classics. The banter and loving-bickering that the two embark on keep you laughing all the way through the movie. You also get the opportunity to watch them both learn about each other and realize their bond despite their differences.

side characters

Charlotte “Lottie” Lawrence: iconic wing woman and a true Southern Belle

Dr. Facilier: a voodoo bokor (witch doctor) getting help from “the other side”

Ray-ray: a middle-aged Cajun firefly

Mama Odie: a blind, 197-year-old voodoo priestess

… and so many more!

Hi! My name is Morgan McBride, and I'm a senior at Tulane from New York. I am majoring in communications with minors in management and political science. I am so excited to be writing for Her Campus!