Alyssa’s Loves & Loathes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

LOVE:  New Orleans Music Festivals

Last weekend was French Quarter Fest, this weekend was Crawfest and in two weekends the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival will round up the trio. So much music! It’s like Heaven for my soul. I’ve always believed in the power of music, and let me tell you these festivals are just what a stressed out college student needs to lift her spirits.  Here we can listen to the likes of Trombone Shorty, The Revivalists, and Rebirth Brass Band.

One of my absolute favorite movies is August Rush, and in that movie, Robin Williams’ character, Wizard, says, “You know what music is? God’s little reminder that there’s something else besides us in this universe –

a harmonic connection between all living beings; every where; even the stars.” For all you educated folks who need a more reliable source than a cheesy movie to base the meaning of life on, try this… ‎Philosopher and Sociologist Friedrich Nietzsche said, “Without music, life would be a mistake.”

I think New Orleans gets that. There’s something about this city…It has a heartbeat, and it beats to the sound of saxophones and tubas and trumpets and trombones and guitars and drums

and banjos and washboards and harmonicas and the voice of every singer’s heartache and happiness. This city is alive because of music. I love that.

To find out about all the New Orleans Music Festivals click here!