Aly Raisman’s Powerful Testimony: The Importance of Speaking Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman gave a powerful testimony against Larry Nassar, former USA gymnastics and Michigan State athletics doctor, who sexually assaulted hundreds of female athletes.  Her statement, thorough and emotional, was one of many testimonies presented during Nassar’s hearing, and has sparked attention throughout social media.

Larry Nassar pleaded guilty to multiple counts of sexual misconduct with underage females, and was sentenced to up to 175 years in prison, convicted of sexually abusing over 150 women, Raisman included.  Though she was not planning to speak at the hearing, after listening to so many strong victims make statements, Raisman decided to do so.  Here are some key parts of her speech that struck me as particularly moving:

Larry, you do realize now that we, this group of women you so heartlessly abused over such a long period of time, are now a force and you are nothing.

Abuse goes way beyond the moment, often haunting survivors for the rest of their lives, making it difficult to trust and impacting their relationships. It is all the more devastating when such abuse comes at the hand of such a highly regarded doctor, since it leaves survivors questioning the organizations and even the medical profession itself upon which so many rely.

I am here to tell you that I will not rest until every last trace of your influence on this sport has been destroyed like the cancer it is.

Your Honor, I ask you to give Larry the strongest possible sentence, which his actions deserve. For by doing so, you will send a message to him and to other abusers that they cannot get away with their horrible crimes. They will be exposed for the evil they are and they will be punished to the maximum extent of the law.

Let this sentence strike fear in anyone who thinks it is OK to hurt another person. Abusers, your time is up. The survivors are here, standing tall, and we are not going anywhere.

The depth and importance of these words continue to sit with me. Raisman and so many others have found the strength to speak out against sexual assault, and I hope they will influence others affected to do the same. Even if you haven’t had the horrific misfortune of experiencing such pain, Raisman’s words are important, for the facts remain that somebody you know probably has experienced sexual abuse or that you could become a victim too—being informed and feeling empowered is crucial. This speech comes at a particularly critical time within the Tulane community, as Tulane’s recently revealed sexual assault statistics, obtained through the Campus Climate survey, suggest a need for all victims to speak up, speak their truth, and know that repercussions will be for the perpetrator and not the victims.

For Raisman’s full statement, see below.

Her Campus Tulane