Style

6 Cute Halloween Costumes for a Cheap Procrastinator

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

If you’re reading this article then you’re probably like me: a procrastinator who hates watching the numbers in her bank account steadily decrease. In other words, you’re running out of time to get a cute Halloween costume and you really do not want anything expensive, or there is literally no time to order anything. Here are a couple of easy cute yet cheap costume suggestions for Halloween:

1. Vampire. I know I know it’s cliché, but that’s because it’s so easy. You don’t even need to buy any new clothes. Just search your closet for something black or red (think gothic). Then do your makeup so that you look pale and have an intense red lip and dark eye makeup. You can also use lipstick to make it look like blood is dripping from your mouth or get those plastic vampire teeth from the dollar store.

Bonus: If you need a last minute couple’s costume your date could be a vampire victim. They could wear anything they want, just put two holes in his neck with lipstick to make it look like he was bitten.

​2. Hippie. I decided to be one five minutes before going to Frenchman Street last year. It’s so easy. Just pull out that 70s or 80s outfit you bought for a frat party and you’re good to go (honestly just reuse anything you bought for a themed party, trust me no one will care). If by some miracle you never went to a 70s party, get some old jeans, a tie-dyed shirt, or literally anything flowy. That sundress that you love because when you spin it floats out around you would be perfect. Then grab a headband or a flower crown, which I guarantee at least one girl you know does own and will let you borrow. Then add some glitter because glitter makes every costume better.

3. Wednesday Adams. Super simple. Grab a white collared shirt that you probably had to wear for your high school’s uniform. If you left it at home because you never wanted to look at it again, that’s fine, it’s not mandatory. Throw on a black dress and black shoes. Then put your hair in two braids and keep a sour look on your face. That’s it. That’s all you need. Or you could just follow her lead and go as a homicidal maniac.

4. Greek God. You can wear either a white dress or a bed sheet. I guess both of those could also apply to a ghost too, but even for me that’s too cliché (same with angels and devils, but if that’s all you got, go for it). Put on some strappy sandals or flip flops. Maybe add a gold or leafy headband or circlet and you’re good to go.  

5. An athlete. Once again, pretty simple. Just put on any athletic clothes you own and tennis shoes. Put your hair up and go. This costume works best if you go to the gym before going out so that you’re still sweaty. Makes it authentic.​

6. … or you could just go in your pajamas and be a college student.

Majors: Psychology and English Minor: Gender and Sexuality Studies
Her Campus Tulane