bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

5 Ways to Detox After Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

After Mardi Gras, all of our bodies are in serious need of a break. Five days of a vodka and fast food diet really takes it out of you- who knew? The idea of detoxing is about more than just a juice cleanse. It’s time to readjust our physical and mental health after a period of craziness so that we can get our lives back on track. Not to mention the work you procrastinated, if you’re anything like me.

1. Exercise: The first day getting sweaty after Mardi isn’t going to feel amazing, but sweating out the alcohol and junk food will help in the long run. Working out doesn’t only have physical benefits, it is also incredibly beneficial towards mental health. After all, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. And happy people just don’t kill their husbands!”, in the words of the incredible Elle Woods. Even if exercise wasn’t a part of your daily routine before Mardi, walking around or moving a little bit more will make you feel better and ready to tackle a mountain of responsibilities-*shudder*.
  2. Eat healthy: Meal schedules during Mardi Gras are anything but normal, whether you’re scarfing down a protein bar at the parade route or indulging in Rally’s for the millionth time. Healthy eating is a broad category, and everyone approaches it differently. But after the Mardi madness, eating food that makes you feel good will help re-energize you. Taking the time to eat balanced meals will let help you readjust to reality after a week of partying.
  3. Take some “you time”: Mardi Gras is fun because it is nonstop socializing, but that can also be exhausting. Taking some time alone to meditate, go on a walk, do a face mask, or whatever else you enjoy will be a needed self-care break, especially because it can be a nice study time-out from midterms, papers, and the rest of it.
  4. Sleep: Another thing we all didn’t do enough of during Mardi Gras. Sleep is the best because it requires zero effort and makes you feel amazing. Early bedtimes and snoozy mornings will help rest and recharge your body. At this point, it’s been through enough.
  5. Clean: If you’re like me, waking up after Tequila Sunrise to a dorm room that looked like a war zone was not pretty. It’s time for the deep-clean you and your roommate have been procrastinating. Vacuum, wipe, wash, and organize like your life depends on it. It’s tiring, but make it fun by blasting music or watching Netflix. Trust me, it’ll be the easy choice to make you feel productive when you have no motivation to go to the library.

We did it, guys! We (barely) survived Mardi Gras. Coming down from a crazy, exciting five days isn’t easy. But taking the time to do things to energize your body and mind will help with the painful transition back to college as usual. Bonus idea: start a countdown to next year so we can Mardi all over again!

Her Campus Tulane