The 5 Best Ways to Make a Dorm Room Feel Like Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

So, you’re living in a dorm room, and whether you’ve just moved a U-Haul’s worth of stuff into a minuscule Sharp/Monroe room or you’re a dorm-life veteran, this living situation is going to take some getting used to (especially after being in the comfort of home all summer). That’s why I’ve compiled a list of the five best ways to banish the dorm room blues and make this new space one that you’ll love!

1. Let Your Personality Shine 

There’s just something about dorm rooms that make them inherently look like a prison might have inspired the design. With plain walls, ugly blinds and stains on the carpet that you don’t even want to know where they came from, it’s going to take a little effort to make your room feel homey. Start with your favorite movie poster, some fun lights or a cute rug to bring some color to that drab carpet. And remember to get creative! Cut out pictures from magazines to make a collage on your wall or let your artistic side shine.  Long story short, you want your dorm room to be a fun place to relax after a long day, not a sad space that makes you feel like you’re guest staring on Orange is the New Black

2.  Bring a Little Bit of Home

For most of us, moving in to our first college dorm marks the time that we say goodbye to our families and home friends.  This transition is undeniably scary, and it’s more than natural to be home sick, especially at first. Print out your prom pictures or those adorable ones you took on family vacation to remind you of home when you’re missing it most, but with that said, don’t forget to live in the present. Run to Walgreens and print out the crazy ones you took last Mardi Gras, or the snapshots of you and all your new friends on the Riverboat cruise. These memories will remind you how lucky we are to go to such an amazing school –even on those days when you’re really just missing your mom’s cooking or snuggling with your dog. 

3. But Don’t Forget to Bring a Little Bit of New Orleans Too

I got these great vintage-inspired postcards of New Orleans to put up in my room and every time I look at them I’m reminded of how incredibly fortunate I am to have the privilege of calling New Orleans home for four years. Buy a Tulane flag or a Saints poster to help you remember how great the city around us is, and how important it is to get out and explore.

4. Stock Up on Comfort Food

When you’re studying for that test you’ve been dreading and a 2 a.m. snack break becomes a matter of life or death you’re going to seriously appreciate that trip that you and your roommate made to Target or Whole Foods. Stock up on a mixture of health foods and not-so-healthy indulgences (any college student will tell you that Nutella is the ultimate lifesaver) to fuel your late night study sessions –or, lets just be honest, Netflix marathons. Grab plenty of fruits, vegetables, and nuts, but don’t forget my personal favorite, Easy Mac.

5. Control the Clutter

Maybe the girl who somehow ended freshman year with two tutus, a million free t-shirts and every study guide she’s ever made shouldn’t be talking about cutting down on clutter, but here’s my two cents about keeping your room organized. While it may feel like you’re going to miss that giant t-shirt you never wear or those silver go-go boots you bought on a whim for a theme party, the fact of the matter is that you won’t. Donate it, throw it out if it’s trash, take it home…GET RID OF IT!  A room filled with useless stuff isn’t a relaxing place to come home to after a stressful day of classes.