10 Things We All Miss from the 90s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

The 90s were a simpler time. A time when we did not check our phones every five seconds, but rather checked to see if our crush was on AIM.  A time when we counted down the days until N*SYNC released an album. A time when all we needed for entertainment was a CD and milky pens. Here are ten things we all miss from the 90s:

1. Lisa Frank school supplies. You were automatically one of the coolest girls in class if you showed up to the first day of first grade carrying a Lisa Frank folder and a matching lunchbox. The rainbow designs and neon colors made school supplies much prettier and exciting than they are now.
  1. CD-Rom Games. This was the ultimate form of entertainment for any 90s child. I probably played Barbie Magic Hairstyler every single day and gave the same makeover every single time. Other games worth mentioning: Oregon Trail, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego, Kid Pix, Freddie the Fish, and Jump Start.
  1. Gelly Roll Pens. These pens were amazing. Not only were they pens, but they doubled as temporary tattoo ink, which really meant me being allowed to draw hearts all over my hands and my younger brother being allowed to draw lines on my arms. The silver and gold were by far everyone’s favorite colors.
  1. AIM. AIM was the center of everyone’s social life. Your AIM profile had to be updated daily with a list of all your best friends (obviously only the initials), at least one inside joke with each, your boyfriend’s name with a heart, and a quiz about you for all of your buddies to take. Away messages were carefully worded because everyone HAD to know your exact plan for the day. And the typical “‘hay’ ‘hay wazz ^’ ‘nm u’ ‘nm jc’ ‘kewllll’’ conversation with everyone on your buddy list was vital.
  1. Boy Bands. Boy bands totally dominated the music scene of the 90s. N*SYNC vs. Backstreet Boys wasn’t simply a band you chose over the other. You were DEDICATED to that band and bought every poster and CD you could and defended them at all times. N*SYNC was the best, and yes, I will still defend them. 
  1. The Spice Girls. Clearly the best girl band. We knew (and still know) the words to every song. You played “Spice Girls” with your friends and everyone would fight over who got to be Baby Spice. And Spice World…best movie ever.
  1. Crazy Bones.  This was one of the biggest fads of the 90s. It wasn’t even so much about the game as it was having the coolest and most rare crazy bone. Instead of playing on the playground during recess, everyone would stand in a circle and trade crazy bones, carrying around those mini coffins we stored them in.
  1. Twist-A-Braid. Ok, well in all honesty, I don’t miss this. I never successfully used Twist-A-Braid to make a braid in my hair because all it did was create a giant knot. But in theory, it was a great hair product.
  1. Choker Necklaces. Choker necklaces were the easiest accessories to acquire. All you had to do was win enough tickets at the arcade and voila! You’ve got yourself every color of the rainbow in chokers. If only all accessories could be bought through tickets.
  1.  Nickelodeon Game Shows. Figure It Out, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and Guts were actually some of the best game shows to ever come to television. We all envied those kids who got to be on the show and win the prize of the new scooter and a trip to Universal Studios.

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.