10 Life Lessons from John Mayer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tulane chapter.

Anyone who knows me at least decently well knows about my obsession with John Mayer. Needless to say, I was beyond ecstatic when I saw him at Jazzfest this past Friday. So, in honor of the 5 hours I waited to see him Friday afternoon, here are some of the life lessons I’ve learned from John Mayer.

1)   Go easy on you. When things go wrong, remind yourself it’s your first time through this life.

2)   Not everyone is going to like you, and that’s okay.

3)   Think before you speak, and know when to shut up.

4)   Make friends with what you are.

5)   Whenever they say it can’t be done, remind them that they make a jellybean that tastes exactly like popcorn.

6)   It’s okay to deserve happiness.

7)   The heart of life is good.

8)   Days are long and words are cruel, but they won’t get the best of you.

9)   You’re not going to be 100% all the time.

Have fun. Smile at the things that worry you. Play good music. Laugh. Live your life!

JoEllen is a senior at Tulane University where she is majoring in Philosophy and Psychology. She is particularly active with the Tulane chapter of Relay for Life and spent last summer studying abroad in Bali, Indonesia, where she hopes to move some day. JoEllen loves writing, eating delicious Cajun and Creole food, and exploring the city of New Orleans.