This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Feeling like your skin is dry and tight? Join the club. With temperatures dropping and humidity plunging, dryness can start to take its toll on sensitive skin. This skincare guide will help you maintain a healthy, clear, and moisturized complexion, and save you from dry, itchy skin–even in the chilliest of months.

• Pick the right products

When picking the right face wash, cream, or lotion, it’s important to know your skin type. Certain products are appropriate for dry skin while others are better suited for those with oily skin. It’s essential to choose wisely in order for products to be most effective without irritation. If you’re not sure whether your skin is dry, oily, normal, or sensitive, opt for a more gentle product that will remove excess dirt and impurities while moisturizing your skin. Look out for and avoid strong chemicals.

• Wash your Face

To start your day, spread a bit of face wash around your face, rubbing gently in small circles. Aveeno and Neutrogena are two well-known brands that are recommended by dermatologists. But don’t be afraid to try new varieties; discover for yourself which product is best for you!

* It is also important to use an exfoliator once or twice a week (no more) to remove any residual dead skin cells.

• Use a toner

After cleansing your face, use a cotton pad to spread toner over your entire face; do not rinse it off. Toners work to replenish your skin’s pH to its natural levels and make your skin more resistant to bacteria. Toning is especially important for those with oily skin but is beneficial to any skin type and integral to maintaining a healthy complexion.

• Serum

Serums include active ingredients and vitamins that can ward against and treat wrinkles, brown spots, and pimples. After cleansing your skin, wait at least two minutes and then apply the serum. Apply sparingly; a little can go a long way.

• Eye Cream

To go that extra mile, splurge on some eye cream. The best way to apply eye cream is to lightly tap it onto your skin, about half an inch under the eye . The key is to be gentle and to let it seep in; be careful to not pull at your skin or use too much cream, both of which can be irritating.

• Moisturize

Apply a moisturizer that is appropriate for your skin. I recommend Clarins or La Roche-Posay, two well-known brands that carry products for all skin types. Alternate between a daytime moisturizer with SPF protection and a night lotion that will better hydrate your skin.

• Don’t touch your face

Our hands are hotbeds of bacteria that cause blackheads and pimples, which arise from dirt trapped in our pores. If you must touch your face, make sure to wash your hands thoroughly beforehand.

• Avoid squeezing or popping pimples

I know it’s tempting, especially when you see them glaring at you in the mirror. But in the end, touching always makes breakouts worse and can even cause permanent scarring.

Additional Sources: http://www.wikihow.com/Establish-an-Effective-Skincare-Routine