What to Wear: Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

“Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.” – Mean Girls

We all recognize this infamous quote from the movie Mean Girls, and many of us still cringe when we think of Lindsay Lohan’s character Cady’s disastrous attempt at a “scary” costume. Every year, the leaves turn from green to reddish-orange, and every year, girls are faced with the same daunting question: “What am I going to wear for Halloween?! Should I take advantage of the age-old rule of anything goes on Halloween and wear as little clothing as possible? Will I try out a cute twist on an old classic? Or should I show off my wit and creativity by wearing something that is uniquely relevant to this past year?” If you’re having trouble choosing what to wear this Halloween, here are a few ideas to help you decide …

Sexy: When considering a sexy Halloween costume, there are three standards that come to mind: a nurse, a policewoman, and a French maid.

Classic: When it comes to classic Halloween costumes (like a black cat or a witch), you don’t have to run to a costume store and buy a pre-packaged outfit. Instead, you can recreate these costumes with your own personal touch by pairing store-bought props or accessories with items you already have at home, like a black dress or a tutu.

The black cat, the mouse, or a witch!

Timely & Creative: If you want to be unique this Halloween, there have been plenty of people and scandals in the news over the past year from which you can choose! You may choose to dress as your favorite celebrity, or athlete – this summer gave rise to a few new stars that would make great costumes.

“The Pregnant Snooki”

“The Fab Five”

“Honey Boo Boo”

Images Courtsey of:
 www.spirithalloween.com
 www.partycity.com
 www.americanapparel.net
 http://www.thebrandur.com/Alana-HONEY-BOO-BOO.html
 www.forever21.com