Size 14 Model Featured in Sports Illustrated 2015 Swimsuit Issue

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

It’s been 51 years since the since the first Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue hit stands in 1964. The much-anticipated 2015 edition, however, is the first time a plus-size model will be featured. It’s about time.

Robyn Lawley, a size 12, is the curviest model to grace the pages of the iconic issue. She isn’t alone. The magazine will also include the first ever plus-size model to be featured in a paid advertisement. The size 14 Ashley Graham will pose for Swimsuits For All, a company that wants every woman to feel confident in a bathing suit. The brand is known for recreating last year’s Swimsuit Issue with all plus-size models—Robyn and Ashley were both featured. There similarities don’t end there. They are two of five plus-size models that have earned a spot on IMG’s coveted modeling roster and are both outspoken about flaunting what they’ve got.

Ashley said in a statement, “I know my curves are sexy, and I want everyone else to know that theirs are too.”

We couldn’t agree more. Girls need more role models for young girls (with more than 1 percent body fat) to look up to. Full figured women are slowly starting to be recognized just as much as thinner women are, but in a magazine that focuses exclusively on how women look in bathing suits, it’s telling that there are only two who are considered plus-sized. What message does this give us collegiettes?  

While it is great for women that attitudes are changing, plus-sized women have a long road ahead of them in order to achieve full acceptance in a body image driven industry. We live in a world where being considered “plus-sized” mean being bigger, weighing more and not looking beautiful. How is a person supposed to feel if their body type is classified by this term? We need to change this message—this January’s Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue featuring Ashley and Robyn helps, but it isn’t enough. What does it say about our world when the inclusion two models bigger than a size 2 is making headlines. Hopefully 2015 is a year for change and we see more magazines and ad campaigns featuring “plus-sized”. And maybe, just maybe, we can start referring to women like Ashley and Robyn as “healthy”.   

Photo source: Huffingtonpost.com