Shark Saddle – Tufts’ Newest Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Recently, I got to sit down with an up-and-coming band at Tufts called Shark Saddle. Talking with the members of the band was certainly an experience. The band consists of seven freshmen, Dan Callahan, Michael Seltzer, Aidan Scrimgeous, Rohan Joshi, Jackson Clawson, and Annahstasia Ifeoma, who all play a variety of instruments ranging from “organic fruit percussion” to saxophone. Their music is “a mix between jazz, hip hop, rock, blue grass, country, soul, funk, punk, reggae, ska, dubstep, and traditional Irish bag pipe folk songs”.

Who thought of the name and why was it “Shark Saddle”?

Jack, our hallmate, thought of the name. It’s really a mystery why he chose the name but we just ran with it.

Who came up with the idea of starting the band?

We got a gig, [then] we thought, “Hey, we should make a band…”

When are you playing next?

Thursday, November 14, 2013 at Dewick and Saturday, November 16 at Sophia Gordon. It’s part of the Two-Night “Saddle Me” Tour.

How are you promoting the tour?

The entire band is doing No Shave November (but also we’re doing No Shave because we just want increased testosterone levels).

How does that relate to your tour?

It doesn’t.

What is your favorite song that you have written and played?

It hasn’t been written yet.

What is song-writing process like for your band?

Well, Dan takes a nap, and when he’s done with that, the song is finished.

How have you gotten involved in the community?

We have reduced the shark population in Somerville immensely, which we think deserves no accreditation.

Major influences?

Shout out to The Wiggles, Nutella-tubbies, McDonalds, Ray Bans, Bush Hall, and the Churros at Carm. Also, shout to Idah, Tufts Field Hockey, our groupies, Callum Au, Rima’s robe and whiteboard, Bigelow tea, Dean Knox, and President Tony Monaco, and the sheep on Allyson’s robe. Huge shout out to Yotam,. Especially big shout out to J- Squared.

Any other shout outs?

Aidan: They have awesome plums at Dewick, shout out to those plump plums

What are your Beauty Regimens?

Wake up, look sexy, go to sleep (and occasionally eat all the time).

What is your Most Embarrassing Romantic Experience?

“Dirty” Dan: As a band? I don’t want to go into that…

Any hidden talents?

Greg:  What are we good at guys? Making people feel uncomfortable and eating apples.

If you want to learn more about Shark Saddle’s hilarious band members, inspirational music, and upcoming shows visit their Facebook page, or stop by Houston Hall and say hi!

Looking for more great music?  Check out the 15 Songs Every Collegiette Should Have on Her Playlist.

*Edited by: Danyelle McInnis