Kappa Alpha Theta ELCs: Madison and Jenny!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Jenny (right) and Madison (left) enjoying a night at Fenway Park! 

Name: Madison Cannon
Hometown: Stonington, CT
Fun fact: I studied abroad twice during undergrad, Costa Rica and Spain!

Name: Jenny Cook
Hometown: Granville, OH
Fun fact: I’m trilingual! I am fluent in Spanish, French, and English

How does starting a new sorority at Tufts work?

We start off with a PR campaign to get our name out there followed by information sessions to tell prospective new members what being in Theta at Tufts will be like. We then hold a recruitment kick-off event to introduce students to headquarters staff, local alumnae and current Thetas from BU, Harvard and MIT. Interviews are held the following day so that headquarters staff can see if the student is a good fit for Theta here on campus. Once we have all of our charter members on Bid Day we start committees to help plan the semester and get the ball rolling.

What is your job as an ELC for Kappa Alpha Theta here at Tufts?

We recruit all of our charter members to be a part of the chapter in the beginning of the semester. For the rest of the year we serve as guides and facilitators for anything they need as a new chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta.

What is your favorite part of being an ELC establishing here?

Meeting all the students! Everyone has made us feel so welcome on campus. We are so lucky to be based here at Tufts University. Being in the Boston area is a really great perk too!

What advice do you have for women who are curious about joining Greek life, but aren’t positive it is for them?

What do you have to lose? At the very least, you’ll meet a lot of women on campus with varied interests and involvement on campus. Greek life isn’t for everyone, but it is made up of Tufts students just like you.

So far, what is your favorite thing about Tufts?

…What’s not to love?! We really enjoy the community and the traditions that come along with it, like painting the cannon!

If I am a student (sophomore or older) interested in joining Theta this fall, what should I do?

Come to recruitment kick-off event in Sophia Gordon Hall on Sunday, September 15th at 5 pm and sign up for interviews at www.thinktheta.org.

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!