How NOT to Gain the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Ahh, freshman year. Everything is new and exciting – including the ice cream sundae bar in Dewick every Thursday and Sunday evening. And who has time to work out when you’re so busy studying for midterms? We’ve all heard of the mythical “freshman fifteen,” but what about the sophomore sixteen? The third-year thirty? As the year progresses and the weather gets colder, it becomes easy to throw on a cozy oversized sweater to hide the extra pounds… or, you can continue reading for some healthy tips on how to avoid packing on extra cold-weather cushioning.

1). Don’t Over-Stress: While swearing off the gym and eating to procrastinate can be major contributors to weight gain, stress can also be a huge factor. Stressing out about schoolwork and extracurriclar activities can increase the amount of cortisol – frequently referred to as the “stress hormone” – that your body releases. Cortisol not only increases your appetite, but also causes fat to accumulate right where you don’t want it: your abs. So next time you get the late-night urge to snack, pause for a second and ask yourself: Am I actually hungry or in need of energy, or is it the cortisol just craving a tasty treat? While you should never avoid or ignore your hunger cues, you also don’t want to go to bed with a stomachache.

2). Eat Mindfully: Now that we’re out of the house and away from Mama’s home-cooked meals, it can easy to mindlessly overload at Dewick or in Davis Square. While a burrito for every meal of the day may taste good, it’s important to maintain balance and variety in your diet. Remember that fruits and veggies contain important vitamins and antioxidants, calcium and iron are incredibly important macronutrients for women. Protein is key to sustaining a comfortable level of fullness, and a small amount of dietary fat (which can be found in healthy favorites such as avocadoes, hummus, and almonds) is necessary in order for your brain to function at full capacity. In addition, we’ve all learned by now that Dr. Atkins was no genius – carbs are your friend! If you remember the healthy rule of “Everything in moderation” and embrace variety as a close friend, you will find that it really is possible to include your favorite treats in a healthy, non-restrictive yet non-over-indulgent, way.

3). Embrace Exercise: Have you ever studied in Tisch for so long that you just want to run up and down the Purple Hallway, screaming at the top of your lungs? No? Do you go to Tufts? I didn’t think so. Take your pent-up frustration, walk over to College Ave., and release your anxiety through swimming a few laps at Hamilton Pool, shooting around on the Cousens’ basketball court (before it’s gone!), or participating in a spinning class at the beautiful new fitness center. If you decide to high the new facility – which we highly recommend you do – you will even be able to get your TV fix while working out (each of the new high-tech fitness machines has its own set!). While staying active is a great way to keep the freshman fifteen at bay, it is also beneficial for your mental health and ability to manage stress.