How to Attend a Frat Party in Cold Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

So, since we’ve only been at Tufts for two months, you’ve probably been walking a few blocks at night in just a cute tank and jeans no problem. BUT as we all know, the freezing cold winter is imminent, and there is NO way we will let a little chill stop us from partying. To help you make it from your respective pregame to Pro Row while staying warm, I’ve compiled a list of attire tips. 

The number one essential is the fracket. A lot of us blew too much money trying to find an attractive looking winter parka that doesn’t make us look like the Michelin man, but if you want to wear it more than once, don’t wear it out. Find a fracket! What is a “fracket,” you ask? Urban Dictionary defines it as “a jacket you wear to frats because you don’t mind if at the end of the night, it is covered in beer, frat sludge, or other unidentifiable liquids. Also, it is not a big deal if this jacket is lost or stolen during the course of the night.” 

How do you find a fracket? My top suggestions are your dad’s or uncle’s super ugly old coat from the ’80s, your older brother’s nearly destroyed Barbour from 2005, or the Goodwill in Davis. Also, make sure it has pockets so you don’t lose the gloves that saved your newly manicured hands on the uphill walk.

This could be you waffle sledding down Prez Lawn, but only if you have the perfect fracket!

Another thing you can’t leave your dorm room without is a pair of shoes that can brave the snow and the beer on the floor. On the top of the list of things not to wear is suede boots. If your boots are destroyed by ice melt salt, they’re bound to be destroyed by the ~crazy banger~ you’re going to. Instead, opt for water resistant leather or for when it’s ridiculously cold, Bean Boots (duh)! If they really don’t go with your outfit, opt for Converse with really warm socks. They won’t keep your feet totally dry, but it’s better than ruining your favorite pair of cute shoes. If you’re going to a more formal event that absolutely demands heels (nothing really ever does in my opinion, to be honest), do not wear stilettos. You will slip on the ice or snow and subsequently ruin whatever you’re wearing. Instead, choose booties with a wedge or chunky heel!

This will be you slipping in stilettos, but you won’t look nearly as cute.

Last but not least, the cold weather is trickiest when you’re going to an event that calls for more formal attire, like a dress. As we said before, you never have to wear a dress, but if you want to, you don’t have to freeze while doing so. Waiting in line outside seems to be a frequent experience, so if you’re not looking to turn purple, listen to your mom and wear tights. If you think tights are totally lame (valid opinion), wear thigh high socks with your boots for extra warmth!

This will be you if you forget to cover up those legs with tights or super cute high socks.

Source: