This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Elegant, swept-up hair can completely change your look. Whether you’re going out to celebrate, or are looking for an easy way to get your hair out of your face during the day, the following up-dos are easy to master, and will never fail to help show off your gorgeous face!

1.    The Ponytail

The ponytail is a classic that can be easily spiced up. It can be worn during the day or at night. Although most people leave the ponytail in the gym, it can really change the feel of any outfit. My two personal favorites are the straight, sleek pony with a teased crown, or brushed out curls swept up into a neat pony. Ribbons, barrettes, and headbands can be added to glam the simple feel of the ponytail. To achieve the look pictured here, simply create soft curls with a 1-inch to 1.5-inch barrel hot iron, and then pull your hair back and secure it with a clear elastic. Add a black ribbon (or any other accessory) to dress up your pony even more.

2.    The Sock Bun

The sock bun is an easy way to put up second-day hair. Although it’s ridiculously easy to do, it can also be a glamorous way to get your hair off of your shoulders when dressing up. To create this sleek, voluminous look, first either purchase a “sock” to wrap your hair around, or create your own by simply cutting the foot off of a thick tube sock. Begin to style by pulling your hair into a tight ponytail with a hair elastic, either teasing it to create volume at the crown, or slicking it back completely, based on what you want the feel of your up do to be. Next, scrunch the sock around the base of the ponytail while pulling your hair completely through the sock, and then roll your hair completely around the sock until you reach the base of the ponytail, adding bobby pins as necessary, and voilà!  Feel free to wear this hairstyle with styles ranging from a simple jeans-and-tee combo, to a glamorous cocktail dress.

3.  The Cascade

Simple yet chic, this hairstyle is perfect for holiday parties. Begin by securing your hair into a ponytail, remembering to keep texture and volume through the crown of your head. Next, take one individual inch piece of hair, creating a loop, and pinning it to your head. Continue around your whole head until each strand from your ponytail has been integrated into the style. The end result will look like the above picture – simple, yet elegant.

Sources: tumblr.com, hairstylestars.com, realsimple.com

Christie Wang is a 19 year old sophomore at Tufts University double majoring in Child Development and Sociology. She is a team member of Her Campus Tufts. Connect with her via email (daisycheekz@rocketmail.com) or on her YouTube or Linkedin.
Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!