Hair Trends from Fashion Week 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Check out these great, wearable, hair styles taken straight from the runways at Fashion Week 2012! 

While the featured clothing lines were the primary focus of Boston’s recent Fashion Week, the simple hairstyles sported by models representing designers such as Alexander Wang and Chloé should not go without mention. Once in a while it’s okay — and even recommended — to simply wake up, comb your hair, and walk out of your dorm. Sporting can also be a great accessory for an elaborate, eye-catching outfit, as it will help balance your look.

Although there are some exceptions, the average girl should probably ditch braids after middle school. While models frequently pull them off, the rest of us generally don’t have such great luck. The runway-approved suggestion for a similar girlish look is simple: simply add a slight twist in your hair! This style is super quick and easy to achieve, but can look quite elaborate when done right. The half up-do is always a good choice, because it lets you shows off your beautiful hair, while spicing up your everyday look with a twist (literally).

Adding a headscarf, headband, or hair clip can make an otherwise simple outfit memorable. Just remember not to overdo it! You don’t want to look as though you’re trying to cover up a bad hair day.

Possibly our favorite style was the “just out of the shower” look, which was featured heavily at Fashion Week by models for designers such as Alexander Wang and Diesel. It’s as if this runway ‘do was designed for the college girl on the go! While we love this look, however, similar looks involving hair gel should probably stay on the runway, as they have the potential to make your hair look greasy and unwashed.

Finally, for an easy date night style, simply blow-dry your hair and add a volumizing agent to give your hair some extra life. As much as we may enjoy designing elaborate hairstyles to empresses our beaux, less really can be more! Guys love it when girls sport a natural look, so rather than giving your hair a date night alter ego, accentuate your natural locks – work your curls or flaunt your shine! The movement of your luscious locks will surely attract a lot of attention.

Alex Horvitz is a junior at Tufts University in Boston, MA. She is double-majoring in Economics and Psychology and minoring in Communications and Media Studies. With a passion for beauty blogging, Alex is a contributing beauty blogger for Her Campus. Alex is a Co-President of Her Campus Tufts and she also worked as a Sales & Marketing Associate for Her Campus during the Summer of 2012. Email AlexHorvitz@hercampus.com with questions or connect with her on Twitter @Alex_Horvitz or LinkedIn!