Eat This, Not That: Healthy Alternatives To Your Favorite Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Do you ever find yourself starving, but are not sure what you should eat? You want to be healthy, but at the same time, you’re craving your favorites. You can gain lots of nutrients and cut calories by simply swapping these healthier choices for your usual go-tos. We’ve included some our college favorites (most of them on the healthier list!). For more healthy alternative suggestions check out the book Eat This, Not That by Matt Goulding and David Zinczenko.

1)    Eat this: Greek Yogurt. Not that: Regular Yogurt

Most brands of regular yogurt (even if they are fat-free) contain a substantial amount of sugar. This sugar will spike your blood sugar, and cause an energy crash later. Instead of reaching for the fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts, try a healthier alternative: Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt has a ton of protein and healthy probiotics that will keep you feeling fuller, longer.

[pagebreak]

2)    Eat this: Naturally Flavored Seltzer or Water. Not that: Soda

Soda is LOADED with sugar, which is not only a major contributor to the development of Type II Diabetes, but can also erode your tooth enamel (yuck!), and cause post-caffeine high energy crashed. Plus, since caffeine is a diuretic, it will dehydrate you, which is certainly not ideal when you are looking for something to quench your thirst. So instead of grabbing that bottle of Coke from the fridge when you’re parched, reach for a bottle of naturally flavored seltzer or water. These zero calorie additions to your fridge come in a variety of yummy flavors that will keep your taste buds on their toes. Your body will thank you later!

[pagebreak]

3)    Eat this: Whole-Wheat Bagel Thins. Not that: White-Flour Bagels

It’s no wonder that bagels are one of the most popular breakfast foods – they are easy to eat on-the-go, you can slather them with delicious toppings, and are they are just downright delicious! But unfortunately, not only are they loaded with more carbs and less protein than you need to start off the day, once you pack on the cream cheese and lox, they can rack up a pretty high calorie count. So the next time you’re craving a bagel, grab a whole-wheat bagel thin instead, and go easy on the toppings!

[pagebreak]

4)    Eat this: Popcorn. Not that: Chips

You know that feeling: you’re sitting on the couch, catching up on your weekly TV shows, and all you want to do is reach into a big bag of chips and mindlessly munch. Sure, this sounds tempting – but your body will not be happy with this decision later. Chips are full of saturated fat, which is not only bad for your heart, but also has minimal nutritional value. Instead of snacking on chips, you should make your own “naked” popcorn. Popcorn is a whole grain, is low in calories, and provides the dietary fiber that is necessary for proper digestion. Have no fear that the taste won’t fill the void of the chips — there are plenty of ways to literally spice your popcorn up! Add the classic salt and pepper, or experiment with garlic or other spices.

[pagebreak]

5)    Eat this: Hummus. Not that: Vegetable Dip

You may think that you are making healthy choice by snacking on vegetables and dip at a party, but if you’re saturating your carrot sticks in dill dip, you may want to think again. Vegetable dips are loaded with fats and are dense in calories. Equally delicious and much more nutritious is hummus. Made of chickpeas, hummus contains protein and fiber and comes in a variety of different types. Hummus comes in a variety of flavors, so try pairing different tastes with your veggies or bagel things, or even on its own, for a healthy, tasty snack.

[pagebreak]

6)    Eat this: Frozen Fruit. Not that: Italian Ices

If it’s late at night and you’re craving something cold and, instead of reaching for those cherry ices that are essentially frozen water mixed with sugar, try going for a bag of frozen berries or mango. Frozen fruit is flash-frozen at its full ripeness, so you get the sweetest and most delicious taste in every bite. Plus fruit is full of both nutrients and dietary fiber, both of which Italian ices definitely lack. Try blending some fruit together with Greek yogurt, low-sugar juice, and ice to make a scrumptious smoothie that will satisfy all your cold and sweet needs.

[pagebreak]

7)    Eat this: Almond Butter. Not that: Peanut Butter

We’ve all been there: you take a spoonful of peanut butter, put the spoon in the sink… and then decide hat you need one (or four) more spoonfuls before you leave the kitchen. While peanut butter does contain protein, it also has a lot of fat and added sugars. For a healthier alternative, try some fresh-ground, organic almond butter. Almond butter has 79% more heart-healthy monosaturated fats than peanut butter does, and the fresh-ground variety has no added sugar. Almonds have also been shown to help boost your metabolism! Just be careful not to get too addicted.

[pagebreak]

8)    Eat this: Oatmeal. Not that: Cereal

Nothing reminds you more of your childhood than a big bowl of cereal with milk on a lazy weekend morning. While there are healthy cereals with added vitamins (including iron), cereals today have skyrocketing sugar levels. Equally as delicious and incredibly more nutritious is cereal’s hot cousin: oatmeal. Oatmeal is full of fiber to keep you full, and help aid your digestion. Oatmeal can help lower your cholesterol, improve your immune system, stabilize your blood sugar levels, and reduce your risk of heart disease. Hint: adding healthy toppings such as fresh fruit, cinnamon, or a packet of Splenda will sweeten up this healthy breakfast even more!

[pagebreak]

9)    Eat this: Sweet Potatoes. Not that: White-Skinned Potatoes

Regular white-skinned potatoes are a comfort food that most of us grew up with. However, this starchy staple does not contain as many nutrients as its colorful counterpart — sweet potatoes. Many nutritionists consider sweet potatoes to be a super food, due to the fact that they are packed with vitamins that are good for your heart and your skin, and contain they contain both iron and magnesium. And not only are they good for you, but they taste great, and are very versatile. Enjoy roasted sweet potatoes with rosemary for a savorier dish, or sprinkle cinnamon on top for a dessert-type food. Whichever way you choose to enjoy them, both your taste buds and your body are sure to benefit!

[pagebreak]

10)   Eat this: Frozen Yogurt. Not that: Ice Cream

After a bad day, there is nothing you want more to do than curl up on the couch with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s. This may temporarily make you feel better, but in a society where women are encouraged to feel guilty after indulging in their favorite sweet snacks, this relief may be short-lived. Fortunately, there are other options to satisfy your craving: frozen yogurt is a healthy alternative to ice cream. It contains nutrients such as calcium, and has an array of probiotics to improve immunity and aid digestion. Although To keep it as a special food, try to keep frozen yogurt as a treat, rather than an everyday staple (try one of the other snacks listed, instead). Top your froyo with fresh or frozen fruit for an extra yummy (and healthy) touch!

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.