Dorm Sweet Dorm: How to Have The Cutest Freshman Dorm Room on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

As the highly anticipated freshman move-in day approaches, we make our final trips to Bed Bath & Beyond, PB Teen, and the Container Store, hoping to grab those last minute must-have decorations that will turn our half of the drab small space into our fab home for the next year.  What do I put on these boring bare walls? What color scheme do I go with? Do I coordinate with my roomie? Look no further! This blog will give you the scoop on how to have the cutest freshman dorm room on campus! 

1.  It’s all in the Christmas tree lights.

Brighten up your room while adding character to your walls by hanging up Christmas tree lights.  They create a pretty ambience for everything from studying to hanging out with hallmates.  Whether you throw them behind a sheer curtain, string them alongside your bed, or hang them on your ceiling, they will most definitely add a chic touch to any dorm room.

2. Picture collages are a definite must. 

Make your room more homey by putting up photo collages.  They are a fun, easy and affordable way to make your dorm room look super cute.  You can make collages in different shapes, such as a heart or your initials, to add an even bigger statement to your walls.  You can upload your favorite instas and facebook photos to the CVS website and pick them up in as little as an hour!

3.  Throw a rug on the floor to add comfort. 

Rugs are an amazing way to make the room feel snug and cozy.  Who doesn’t like stepping off their bed and onto something soft and warm before those way-too-early 8 a.m. classes? Treat yourself! I promise you will love it (especially during those cold winter months!).

4.  Add a decorative pillow for a nice personal touch.

Decorative pillows can give your room an accent and easily make your bed area pop.  Pick one of your favorite colors or a color that you love but might be too overwhelming for an entire comforter.  When you have those late night girl talks, decorative pillows also allow your friends to have some back support and feel super comfortable!

5. Posters, posters, and more posters…  

Posters are a great way to take up space and make your wall look fabulous while also allowing people to get to know a little bit about yourself.  Put up posters of your favorite bands, TV shows, celebs, or movies, and you will be surprised with how many convos revolve around them! They are a great ice breaker, especially during the first few weeks of school!

6. Express yourself! Have fun with it!

If you and your roomie have the same taste, then go for it;  coordinate and decorate together! Common color schemes and patterns are always cute. If you and your roomie have different tastes (like most of us), then it’s absolutely fine! Your dorm room is your chance to have fun and be yourself. Different styles add flavor!

Photo sources: Meagan Adler, Sophie Gomez, Sarah Nechamkin, Emily Tannenbaum, Danielle Cusato, and Hannah Zwiebel