A Day in the Life of a Tufts Athlete

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Here is a little glimpse of what a collegiette on the Tufts Women’s Basketball Team experiences on a daily basis!

Monday, November 9th, 2015

Wake up: 9:00am

I try to wake up most mornings at least an hour and a half before my first class to do any last minute homework, get ready for class, and eat breakfast at Dewick.

Breakfast: 9:55am

My typical breakfast at Dewick includes scrambled eggs topped with salsa and Sriracha (don’t judge, it’s a great combination), a small bowl of 0% plain Greek yogurt topped with blueberries, and half of a grapefruit.

English 1 in Eaton Hall: 10:30am

Just a freshman trying to get an A in English 1 so I don’t need to take English 2!

On to the books: 12:00pm

After English class, I head back to my dorm to do some studying and get ready for practice before eating lunch and my next class. 

Lunch: 2:15pm

By this time, I’m usually pretty hungry so I walk over to Dewick for lunch. Today’s lunch is a salad with mixed greens, cucumber, green beans, 2 pieces of grilled chicken, green peas, sautéed mushrooms, and carrots, topped with balsamic vinegar. 

Introduction to Sociology in Eaton Hall: 3:00pm

Another trip up the dreadful library steps to Eaton Hall!

Time to head to the gym: 4:15pm

When I arrive at the gym, I grab the clean practice uniforms from the laundry room and distribute them to the team (#freshmanduties). Then I get changed for practice, eat a small snack, and head over to the training room for treatment.

Pre-practice treatment: 4:30pm

I have shin splints, so I get treated by Pat, our team trainer, before every practice to help reduce pain. The treatment I receive is STIM, which is electrical muscle stimulation, elicitation of muscle contraction using electric impulses. After I receive STIM, I get my right ankle and left foot taped.

Team lift5:30-6:15pm

#gainz.

Team practice: 6:30-8:45pm

Post-practice treatment: 8:45pm

Post-practice treatment today is an ice bath. They aren’t as bad as they seem! Once you get past the first 2 minutes, you go numb and no longer feel anything. Afterwards, I take a shower and head over to Hodgdon.

Dinner9:30pm
By this time I am ravenous and eat an excessive amount of food. My typical Hodgdon go-to dinner is a Roaster’s Meal with grilled chicken, baked sweet potato and green beans. I also get a side seaweed salad.

Eat dinner: 9:45pm

Once I get back to my dorm, I devour my dinner and have a frozen banana for dessert.

Homework: 10:05pm

Time to get some work done! Monday’s agenda includes a child development reading, three sociology readings, calculus homework, and part of an English essay.

Bedtime: 1:00am

Since I can no longer keep my eyes open, I decide it’s time for bed. Can’t wait to repeat this cycle tomorrow!

Photo Sources:

http://martinaegli.photoshelter.com/image/I0000Xks87JgpSe0

tuftsdaily.photoshelter.com