This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

We’ve been back at school for almost a month now, and honestly, it’s been a little weird. Freshman year was crazy and new and exciting, and sophomore year feels very different. It’s hard to get back into the swing of school after being away for so long. Studying and doing homework, meeting new people, and staying healthy is all super overwhelming when you’ve been in summer vacation mode for almost four months. Coming back as a sophomore has been a weird adjustment––harder than expected?––and here are some tips that I gathered for making the transition a little easier. Here’s to combating Sophomore Slump together!

1. Find a new study spot. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but I got a little tired of the same old study spaces at the end of last year (those Tisch cubicles bring back major finals season vibes and I don’t need that negative energy in my life). I’ve found that studying in a new building, room, or even a new section of Tisch has been super helpful for giving the start of the year a fresh, productive feel. 

1. Join some new clubs.

The best way to meet new people is to join a bunch of clubs! Even if you’re not actively looking to make more friends it’s always good to meet people and broaden the number of friendly faces you see around campus. Plus, you’re still going to be friends with your old friends, so if you all join new groups, meet new people, and introduce each other then all of your social circles just got so much bigger!

1. Take a class that’s different from anything you’ve done before.

Sophomore year is stressful because for a lot of us, the decision about declaring our major is looming in the very near future. That’s why it’s the perfect time to take a cool new class, especially about something you haven’t really studied before. Whether you end up liking the class or not, it’ll help you reflect on your interests and make a thoughtful decision about what you want to study. 

1. Call your parents.

When things get really stressful make sure you call home. Your parents, grandparents, siblings, whoever, will be able to provide you with some perspective as people who are not currently in the crazy college bubble. Plus, they want to hear from you!

1. Get off campus.

Speaking of the college bubble, getting off campus can be really important for giving you a break from the craziness of college. Sometimes you need to just go to lunch in Cambridge or study at the Boston Public Library to remind you that things exist outside of school. 

I hope these tips help you as much as they’ve been helping me, and best of luck to you all in your efforts to combat Sophomore Slump!

Hi, I'm Hannah! I'm currently a sophomore at Tufts University, but since I'm part of the 5-year Combined Degree Program with the School of the Museum of Fine Arts my graduation year is 2023. I'm originally from Boxborough, Massachusetts.