Catharine Greer: NESCAC Rookie of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Any Jumbo would agree: athletics at Tufts don’t get enough support.  As a senior myself, the number of times I’ve been to a Jumbo game doesn’t exceed the single digits.  Our Campus Celebrity this week, however, should give you the motivation to get out of Club Tisch and make your way to the soccer field.  Tufts’ very own Catharine Greer, #21 on the Women’s Soccer Team, was chosen as the NESCAC Rookie of the Year!

Name:  Catharine Greer 

Class:  2015

Hometown:  Rye, New York

Major: Undecided

What does it mean to be the NESCAC Rookie of the Year?

Being NESCAC Rookie of the Year means that I was voted the top freshman contributing player out of all of the NESCAC Women’s soccer teams.  It is such an amazing title and I am so grateful that people enjoyed watching me play this year.

How did you feel when you found out that you were named NESCAC Rookie of the Year?

It was an amazing feeling when I first found out that I was voted Rookie of the Year.  It was very unexpected, but it made me feel so accomplished.  I knew that all of my hard work during the summer and my tremendous effort during the season had payed off.

How long have you been playing soccer?  Why do you love it?

I have been playing soccer since I was 6 years old.  Soccer was always a sport that I enjoyed; I never really got into individual sports.  Throughout my high school career, soccer and basketball were my main sports but soccer was much more enjoyable for me.  Ultimately, I decided to continue playing soccer in college because it was a sport I always played growing up and I couldn’t imagine my life without it.

What is it like to be part of a sports team at Tufts?

Being on the Tufts Women’s Soccer Team is more like being part of a family.  Everyone on the team and all of the coaches have such a passion for the game of soccer and everyone made me feel part of the team since day one.

Do you plan on playing soccer after college?

I’m not sure what the future holds for me but I would love to continue playing soccer once I graduate.

How often does the team practice?  What kinds of drills do you do?

We usually practice 5 times a week depending on our game schedule.  Coach Martha does an amazing job at getting us prepared for our games, with all sorts of different defensive and offensive drills.  After game days, we will have recovery practices where we will do drills to stretch out our muscles and help us get ready for the next game.

Do you know someone at Tufts who deserves to be a Campus Celebrity?  Send us an email at TuftsHerCampus@gmail.com!

Danielle Carbonneau is a senior at Tufts University double majoring in English and Spanish with a minor in Communications and Media Studies. She is very interested in advertising and has been the editor-in-chief of a creative writing publication on campus. Danielle loves chocolate chip pancakes, horror stories, and her family. She has a crush on HerCampus and all the amazing contributing writers.