Campus Celeb: Jessica Wilson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Jessica Wilson is known for being driven, outgoing, and stylish.  She’s a leader on campus, doing work as an Academic and Community Engagement Fellow and president of Tufts’ Emerging Black Leaders.  She’s worked for the Institute for Global Leadership and interned for the United States Department of Defense.  

What’s the difference between California and Tufts?

The people [at Tufts] are more blunt and fast-moving than in San Diego.  We’re more easygoing and friendly, whereas on the East Coast and Boston people are more honest and in your face.  They don’t smile when they’re walking in the street–it’s a different culture!  I do a lot of work, but socially, I’m more easygoing.  [Tuftonians] like to stay active in their time off, but I love to relax. 

What are you involved in on campus?

I’m a part of Emerging Black Leaders, a student-run group running under the Tufts umbrella.  We work through the Africana Center to do weekly mentorship and tutoring for high school students in the community. We also have a symposium every year and a topic that pertains to minority communities as well as issues at large.  I’m also an ACE fellow, so I live in a dorm–I’ve been living in dorms for four years now!  We help first-year students transition to Tufts and navigate their first year here academically and socially.  We also get them involved in community civic engagement work.

What are you looking forward to in your last year at Tufts?

I’m excited and anxious for what’s to come.  I want to focus on foreign diplomacy and foreign service.  I just took my foreign service exam last week! I really want to work abroad. I think it’s important to move around, go to different places, and experience new environments.  You get to learn more about the culture and about yourself. I’m also interested in social entrepreneurship and management.  So I’m applying for jobs in the private sector and the public sector.

Is there anything you’re going to miss about Tufts?

Tufts is very special, in its way. Being a minority student at Tufts can be hard. But once you’re comfortable with yourself and understand what your goals and missions are, Tufts can be an amazing resource to get you where you want to go.  You have to be focused and know what you want. There are people here who are willing to help you.

Danyelle McInnis is a graduating senior at Tufts University, majoring in English.  She's interested in short story-writing, journalism, marketing, photography, creating websites, baking, and grilled cheese sandwiches.  She's left-handed and always has a secret stash of candy on hand in case the world suddenly runs out of sugar.  In her spare time, she writes about her ongoing transformation from pack rat to minimalist on her blog, Greyer Than Gray.