7 Ways to Spend Valentine’s Day: Perfectly Alone Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

There’s no need to be miserable or dread Valentine’s Day if you don’t have a date. Despite that the romantic holiday is meant for couples and those in love, you can have just as much fun without a significant other.  Here are some Valentine’s Day ideas and essentials for the single ladies out there.

1. See a movie with friends: You’ll enjoy finally being able to see that movie that you’ve been too lazy to get to. Try avoiding the overly romantic ones and go for a comedy or action film. Enjoy actually watching that movie you’ve been dying to see without any distractions.
  2. Go/throw a party: Invite your other single pals, and tell them to do the same. Throw a Valentine’s Day party, or even an anti-Valentine’s Day party, and let the single people mingle!
  3. Marathon of your celebrity crushes: Watch some of your favorite celebrity crushes in a marathon of eye-candy cuties. Sit back with a bowl of popcorn and enjoy x-hours of Hollywood heartthrobs do their thing. Dress down and be relaxed, with no worries about your crush seeing you with no makeup on; they will be on the screen, perfectly handsome for your enjoyment. 
  4. TREAT YO SELF: Manicure, pedicure, a new outfit, whatever! You deserve to be pampered. Being a busy college student, especially one without an overflowing budget, makes such indulgences rare and few. Take the opportunity to treat yourself.
  5. Bake goodies: You are going to be indulging in chocolates anyways, so you might as well go all out. Bake cookies or brownies or whatever; make some with/for you single friends, too.
  6. A gift-giving exchange: Do a Secret Santa-based gift exchange. Get some friends and draw names out of a hat. Deliver chocolates or a teddy bear or whatever. Just because you don’t have a date, doesn’t mean you can’t get gifts!  
  7. Gal pal dinner: Make some reservations, get all dressed up, and go out with your fellow single ladies and splurge on some fine dinning. Although many restaurants will be filled with couples on their V-Day date, don’t be discouraged. As they make lovey-dovey eyes at each other or stutter through awkward introductions, celebrate the love you have for your pals with laughter and a delicious dessert! 
Danielle Carbonneau is a senior at Tufts University double majoring in English and Spanish with a minor in Communications and Media Studies. She is very interested in advertising and has been the editor-in-chief of a creative writing publication on campus. Danielle loves chocolate chip pancakes, horror stories, and her family. She has a crush on HerCampus and all the amazing contributing writers.