7 DIY Ways to Decorate Your Room for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

We’re officially in the winter holiday season! Make sure that your room is bright and cheery so that you can get into the holiday spirit. Here are seven DIY holiday decorations for your room that you can make over winter break, or maybe even during a finals study break.

1. Origami Star Garland

Watch this video to learn how to make mini origami stars. Once you have your desired amount of stars, thread a needle and some twine through the stars to put them on a garland.

2. Present Bow Wreath

With some cardboard, gift bows, scissors, and glue, you can make this adorable present bow wreath by following these simple instructions.

3. Window Ornament Display

The window blinds that are in every dorm room here at Tufts are far from cute. However, with a tension rod, garland, string, ornaments, and a bow, you can make your window a little bit less of an eye sore. Simply wrap the garland around a tension rod, attach strings with ornaments at the end, and place a bow in the middle.

4. Woven Snowflakes

Procrastinating in Tisch?  Just grab some paper, scissors, and a stapler, and you can make that study break productive by creating some woven snowflakes! Once you’re done, you can also attach some string to the snowflakes and hang them in your room.

5. Present Door

Decorate your door for everyone to see by wrapping your door like a present. All you need is some wrapping paper and an optional ribbon (the one in the picture below is actually made from duct tape!). This DIY is also perfect for surprising your friend on their birthday.

6. Ping Pong Ball Lights

This is something that my crafty roommate Megan did, so I can attest to how good it looks. All you need are some string lights, Ping-Pong balls, and an X-Acto knife. Using the Ping-Pong balls makes the lights much softer than normal, giving the room a warm, homey glow.

7. Peppermint Candy Bowl

If you have 19 peppermints too many, consider making this cute bowl. Simply by heating some peppermints and molding them over a glass bowl, you can make your own adorable peppermint candy bowl. If you want more detailed instructions, watch this instruction video. And if you want to use this bowl for non-food related purposes, like using it as a jewelry bowl, I would suggest coating the bowl in some sort of sealant (e.g. Mod Podge) before using it.

If holiday decorations aren’t enough to get you fully into the holiday spirit, try these five festive recipes.

Sources: