Culture > News

5 Things You Didn’t Know About Kamala Harris, California State Senator & Democratic Presidential Candidate in 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

1. Kamala is the second African-American woman and first South Asian-American to be elected to the United States Senate.

2. Kamala’s main goal as a senator is to fight social injustice. Her mother, an Indian-American immigrant, activist, and breast cancer researcher, inspires her to continue her fight.

Image Source: India Abroad

3.  Kamala grew up in Oakland, California, and attended Howard University, a renowned and historically African-American college.

Image Source: Sapna Magazine

4. As San Francisco’s District Attorney in 2003, Kamala founded a program that gives constituents convicted of first-time drug offenses the opportunity to get their GED and jobs.

5. After her time as District Attorney, Kamala served as Attorney General and was a key player in winning marriage equality for all California residents. She has a great deal of political experience, and is beginning to campaign for her 2020 candidacy.

Julia Proshan is currently a sophomore at Tufts University, studying Psychology and Civic Studies. She was born and raised in New York City.