10X10 Presents: Girl Rising, A Screening With Her Campus Tufts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

Did you know that a child born to a literate mother is 50% more likely to survive past the age of 5? Or that girls with just 8 years of education are 4 times less likely to be married as children? Did you know that this could reduce the statistic of, on average, 38,000 girls under the age of 18 who are married per day? Did you?

The importance of educating girls around the world is huge. That’s why on Wednesday, April 24th Her Campus Tufts will bring an amazing “cause” documentary to the Tufts University community. The film, Girl Rising, illuminates the importance of educating girls around the world by telling the real life stories of 9 girls and the impact that education has had on their lives. Their stories are narrated by celebs including: Meryl Streep, Selena Gomez, Kerry Washington, Cate Blanchett, Priyanka Chopra, Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Alicia Keys, Chloë Moretz, Liam Neeson, and Frieda Pinto.

Join us Wednesday, April 24th from 6:30-9:00 pm in Barnum 104 to participate in this meaningful movement and learn how you can make a difference.

RSVP to Facebook event to reserve a space.

Take a look at the inspirational trailer. 

Simmone Seymour is a current student at Tufts University studying Political Science, Economics, and Communications. She is interested in films, fashion, art, design, marketing, advertising, PR, blogging, new trends and the DIY movement. She is now the Campus Correspondent for the Tufts University Chapter of Her Campus and blogs for the Beauty School Blog. She aspires to get involved in marketing and has worked at Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Hungry Fish Media, Jack Morton Worldwide, Argopoint LLP, the Tufts Daily, the HC headquarters as a Marketing & Sales Associate, and at Leo Burnett Worldwide.In her spare time (which is far and in between) she freelance writes for publications, maintains a blog, learns about graphic design and coding, and explores which ever city she may be in. Her idols are Chelsea handler, Sheryl Sandberg, and Marissa Meyer.Got something fashion or beauty-related you think is amazing? Contact Simmone at SimmoneSeymour@hercampus.com to discuss article inquiries.