10 Things to do During Open House Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

This year, more than 17,000 students applied to Tufts – an 11% increase since the previous year. Furthermore, with an acceptance rate of only 22%, the Class of 2015 is perhaps the most competitive class in Tufts history. As Open House kicks off this weekend, hundreds of these specially selected high school seniors have flooded the Tufts campus looking for a reason to become a Jumbo. If you’re one of these students, Her Campus has compiled a list of 10 things to do during your time here, in no particular order, out of the hope that it will ease your decision making process. Congrats on your acceptance, and we hope to see you next Fall!

1.)   Get in touch with any high school alums who came to Tufts: Sure, Tufts has already paired you with an amazing host. They’re fun, they’re welcoming, and they know where to get the best coffee or see the best events. But there’s only one problem. They’re from a small private school in Connecticut, and you’re from a large public school in LA. As great as your host probably is, sometimes you want to have a conversation with someone who can relate to where you’re coming from. As an incoming freshman, I found it super helpful to use Open House as an opportunity to get in contact with a high school alum from my small, California private school. Although we weren’t the same people – she was in a sorority and majoring in economics, I’m more involved with publications and majoring in English – she still could give me an accurate description of how Tufts varied from my high school and how the transition was from 500 students to 5,000. Furthermore, someone who shared a similar experience as you for four years in high school, is probably more likely to take you under their wing the following semester than a host that you only met for a weekend. Therefore, network! And I guarantee that taking advantage of those connections will help you make your decision about Tufts.

2.)   See an a capella show – As I’m sure you’ve already heard, Tufts has a pretty big a capella scene. The most well-known group of course, is the Beelzebubs. In my brief three years at Tufts, The Beelzebubs have sang for President Obama, starred in The Sing-Off on NBC, and landed the spot as the voices behind FOX Glee’s Dalton Academy Warblers. Needless to say, they’ve been pretty busy. But the Bubs aren’t the only group worth seeing on campus. Tufts is rife with talented a capella groups such as The Jackson Jills, S-Factor (pictured), SQ, and the Amalgamates. Chances are, at least one group will be performing on any given weekend, so check out Tuftslife.com for a schedule and try to catch a show.

3.)  Eat at Moe’s – Moe’s is the quintessential late night eatery at Tufts. It’s not so much a location, as it is a moveable stand that magically appears after dark. Typically parked outside of 123 Packard, Moe’s provides deliciously greasy food to Tufts students on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. Everything runs around $5 on it’s own, but for $6, you can purchase an entrée, a soda, and a bag of chips. My personal favorite is the cheeseburger, which I once ate two nights in a row. The kielbasa is another popular choice.

4.) Partake in the Carmichael/Dewick debate: Okay, so this is another one about food. But come on, food is important to college students! As you may be aware, Tufts has two main dining halls: Carmichael, which is uphill, and Dewick-MacPhie, which is downhill. Every Tufts student has a favorite, although they typically tend to go to whichever one is closer to their dorm. Overall, Tufts gets a good rep for their dining options. There’s plenty of items for those with special dietary needs, and the food falls on the healthier spectrum of college eateries. Despite the fact that both dining halls do pretty well, people always prefer one or the other. For example, Dewick has an entire wall of cereal, a variety of pizza options, and Sunday brunch all day while Carmichael has stir-fry night and chocolate fondue night. If you have the time, I suggest trying out both and deciding for yourself which is the best. (Hint: It’s totally Dewick.)

5.)  Attend a Class:
I know it sounds lame. You were looking forward to a weekend of partying and minimal parental supervision. But attending a class in a subject you’re interested in is pretty important. Believe it or not, college isn’t just about food, fun, and more food. If you’re on campus on a Friday, ask around and see which classes meet that day. Chances are, the professor will be more than happy to have you sit in.

6.)  Stop by a Fraternity Party:  Phew, after all that college learning, you’re probably looking to have some fun. Although I am in no way endorsing illegal activities, fraternity parties are a fact of life during your first year of college. By junior and senior year, the novelty of dressing up in a ridiculous costume and entering a house that reeks of beer tends to wear off. Also, by that point, you probably have friends that live off campus who can throw their own, smaller get-togethers. But during your first two years, fraternities will likely be your main source for large social gatherings. While there’s no harm in having fun on Open House weekend, remember that you’ll most likely be seeing your parents the next day, so act responsibly.

7.)   Read the Tufts Daily – The Tufts Daily is perhaps one of the most impressive fixtures at Tufts. Despite our small size, we are able to put out a newspaper every day of the week filled with local news, as well as students opinions on films, restaurants, music, and politics. Not only will you get an idea of what is happening on campus, but you can also get a notion of the general mindset of Tufts students.

8.)   Go to Davis Square – Between vintage clothing store Artifaktori and recycled clothing store Buffalo exchange, as well as cheap eateries like Anna’s Taqueria, Dave’s Fresh Pasta, and Boston Burger co., Davis Square is a little slice of college heaven. Add in a small theatre that doubles as a historical landmark (and houses the Museum of Bad Art), and you’ll soon realize why Davis Square gets an indie rep from local Bostonians. If you decide to become a Tufts student, you’ll mostly likely be spending a lot of time in Davis, so it doesn’t hurt to get a preview now. Make sure to hop the Joey shuttle from the Campus Center if you want the full experience.

9.)  Paint the canon
– Painting  the canon is one of the few Tufts traditions that pre-frosh can partake in since it doesn’t require that you be on campus on a specific date. The canon, located next to Godard Chapel, has been used for anything from promoting an event to asking a person on a date. Basically, if you have access to paint, then you can paint the canon.

10.)  Reply YES to your acceptance! – You are a member of the most selective accepted class in Tufts history, so chances are, you’re pretty awesome. We would love to have you on our campus next year! If you enjoy your open house weekend at Tufts, why not make it official? Solidify your future, become a Jumbo!

Photo Credits:
Bathroom Graffiti – Danielle Carbonneau
Tufts S-Factor – Justin McCallum
Elephant – Ashley Suarez
Support Japan canon – Tufts JCC blog

Sources:
Class of 2015 statistics – Tuftsjournal.tufts.edu