The 10 Stages of Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Tufts chapter.

1. Since we don’t have a fall break, you say your first goodbye to your college friends as if you’ll never see them again (even though its only for a few days). But you are beyond excited to go home and see everyone.

2.  As soon as you get home, you say your hellos and immediately jump into your bed and catch up on sleep. It’s been too long.

3. You wake up and go pig out at your favorite food places with your high school best friends. You listen to their stories about their college lives and gossip over multiple meals.

4. You tell yourself that you’re going to wake up for the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, but then you sleep through it. You really need to catch up on sleep. Plus your bed is just too comfy.

5.  You then sit in bed and watch episode after episode on Netflix as your mom and dad cook all day long. 

6.  Its food time. You keep filling your plate so your mouth stays busy enough that you don’t have to answer your family’s questions. It’s Thanksgiving Dinner, not a question game.

7. Following the feast, you pass out in a food coma. There are no regrets here.

8. You wake up and immediately your mom is yelling at you to help clean but there’s no way you’re going to do that. This leads to fight number 1,000 with your family.

9.  To get your mind off the fights, you eat leftovers for as long as you can. There’s no shame in this. 

10.  Break is coming to an end. You cannot wait to go back to school and have freedom and peace again. You say goodbye to your family and cry, not because you’re sad to leave your family (you actually cannot wait for them to get out of your hair), but because you realize you didn’t do any work over break. Finals are right around the corner…

Photo Sources:

Ellexa is a features writer at Her Campus. As a senior Tufts University, Ellexa studies economics and fim & media studies. She plays varsity field hockey at Tufts, has her own weekly webcasted show called Bo Zone, plays club lacrosse at Tufts, and writes for Tufts' chapter of Her Campus. In her free time, she loves to hang out with friends, watch Suits, online shop, and drink lots of iced chai tea lattes. After graduation, Ellexa hopes to work in the broadcast journalism industry.