She Has Something We All Need-Oma Oka

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at TX Tech chapter.

Women of all ages especially on college campuses, deal with different self-esteem issues, both great and small. Most may agree, when you look good you feel good. This week’s campus celebrity specializes in making women on campus feel their by best by doing fixing something we all worry about, hair.

Oma Oka, a senior psychology major from Dallas, TX, started doing hair in the 5th grade.
            “My mom was far too heavy handed, so I started doing different things to my own hair. After that I realized I had a talent,” Oka said.
            Oka believes beauty comes from within but is heightened by what is on the outside.
            “I believe a new hairstyle can give you a new confidence that can take you a very long way,” Oka said, “and it brings me joy to be a part of that.”
            Oka said she plans on getting her cosmetology license after finishing her undergraduate career and will continue to work and do hair on the side until then. Oka eventually wants to own her very own salon and make being a hair stylist a way a making extra income alongside child counseling.

What do you like the most about styling hair?
            I love the reaction on my clients’ faces when I finish their hair. It’s enough gratitude; the money is more like a tip.
What organizations on campus are you involved in?
            I’m not very good at attending meetings, but I am definitely a BSA warrior!
What do you like to do in your free time?
            I chill in my free time. I mean, I completely shut down and chill. It’s lovely.
What are your plans after graduation?
            After school, I plan on pursuing a promise to counsel unheard children. It’s a dream that God-willing is going to come true.

Jaira is a student at Texas Tech University in her last year.