Thinking about Writing a Senior Thesis? Read This First!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Writing a thesis your senior year is a huge commitment, but it can also be a very rewarding experience if you do it right.  Here are some things to consider before diving into your books, and some tips to help you along the way!

Make sure you have enough credits to take fewer classes that semester.  It’s important to have as much time as possible to dedicate to writing, and having that credit cushion will allow you to do so!

Choose your advisor wisely.  Already having a solid relationship with your advisor will make the transition into writing a thesis that much smoother.  If you can’t pick your current academic advisor, find a teacher you have already formed a relationship with, preferably one that shares a common interest in your subject matter!

Use the summer to plan.  Once school kicks in, even if you’re taking less classes life gets busy.  Having a solid amount of research/brainstorming done from the summer will come in handy during crunch time.

Get a second opinion.  Whether it’s another teacher, fellow classmate, elder, etc. find someone else who’s interested in your thesis process to help you along the way.  Sometimes the best cure to writer’s block is a fresh perspective!

Make a separate schedule.  The best way to ensure that you leave enough time to work on your project is to separate it out from the rest of your responsibilities.  A “thesis schedule” will prevent those chapter deadlines from sneaking up on you!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…

Pick a topic you’re passionate about.  If you don’t, you’ll find writing boring and tedious.

Julia is a senior at Trinity College in Hartford, CT.  She is a double major in English and American Studies.  Julia serves on the English Adviosry Board, and is an active particpant in various performances on campus through the Thearter and Dance and the Music Department at Trinity.  She loves to write, has a passion for music and dance, and sometimes thinks she's as funny as Vince Vaughn.