This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

So you just landed in an incredible foreign country that you have been dreaming about since the beginning of summer. You are jetlagged, nervous, excited, petrified and feeling pretty much every emotion humanly possible! So now what? Lucky for you I’m living that life too and am here to share with you my do’s and don’ts for surviving the first few weeks!

1. Smile and meet everyone! At the beginning, first impressions are everything! Although you might not have received a wink of sleep on your bazillion hour-long flight, take the time to wash your face, change your outfit and throw on a smile! Talk to everyone, even if you don’t think the person is someone you would necessarily be friends with. Whether you come with a group from school or alone, be open to making new friends!
2. Say yes to everything! Although orientation is normally awkward and the events planned usually sound beyond boring, show up anyway! It’s a chance to meet new people and explore the city, as much as we don’t want to believe it, our directors know what they are doing! Also agree to every invitation you receive whether it is going to get drinks after dinner, shopping for toiletries, or coffee with a friend! Every chance is an opportunity to meet new people.
3. Explore the city. Don’t stay in your room and sleep the day away! Stay active to help get your body adjusted to the new time zone. Wake up early and throw on a good pair of walking shoes (an amazing hangover cure!). Stop at cute restaurants and cafes and order the waiter’s favorite dish on the menu.
4. Drink, but responsibly! There’s no better way to bond with new friends than over a bottle of wine at dinner! Enjoy the local nightlife and always go out with a group! But be careful, you aren’t at Trinity anymore, so it is not as easy finding your way back home in a new city.
5. Go to class. As much as this semester feels like an extended spring break, we are here to learn as well. The workload is much lighter, so going to class really is the most important factor in determining grades.
6. Be spontaneous. Suggest going for a day trip and learning the train schedule. Go to the beach or to see a famous piece of architecture in a nearby town! Look out for different events taking play in your city, whether it be a pub crawl, FNO, or a new art exhibit take every opportunity to explore the place you will be living in for the next four months.

Also first week necessities: comfy (but cute!) walking shoes, Band-Aids, cross-body bag, Advil, and a camera.

Ciao, bella!  

Samantha Rhodes is a junior at Trinity College studying art history. An avid art lover, she loves to make trips to museums, long walks on the beach, and people who talk with their hands. Baking takes up most of her free time, and doesn't hurt her social circle either.