Spring Weekend Survival Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

Springtime at Trinity means lax pinnies, sundresses, and spring weekend.  To make sure you’re fully prepared for all your quadding adventures, HCTrin has compiled a list of spring weekend survival tips.

Finding the perfect spot to plot yourself on the quad shouldn’t be too hard, but you want to do so in style.  Go to target or walmart and invest in some cheap lawn chairs and a cooler so you and your friends have a home base to return to.

Pace yourself.  Just because the quad turns into a giant frat party on spring weekend doesn’t mean you have to act like you’re at one.  Remember it’s still daylight and everyone can see you even if your vision’s a little foggy.  The goal is to be able to enjoy the day and still make it out to the nighttime concerts and parties.  Plus, you’ll wake up the next morning with a giant case of FOMO if you pass out too early.

Drink Water.  Not only will your body be thanking you around 5 P.M., but there are also many more components to day drinking than regular drinking that cause dehydration—mainly, the sun.

Go HAM and get that perfect pair of sunglasses you’ve always wanted.  May we suggest these?

Play games!
  Let’s just say everyone wants to be the girl with the slip n’ slide on the quad.  Spring weekend is about interacting with your fellow collegiettes one last time before the end of another year.  Invest in a whiffle ball bat or a football to toss around, or get a big group together to play this Trinspired version of the “Drink If…” game
Drink If….
You see a girl in a bikini (hopefully a rare occasion)
You see a bro in a lax pinnie (prepare to get drunk)
You hear the song “Call Me, Maybe”
A tour passes
You see a campus safety officer
Someone complains about the weather
You see a freshman looking like a little kid on Christmas

Wear sunscreen—or at least makeup or moisturizer that has sunscreen in it.  Nothing is worse than the unexpected sunburn.  Also try to spend a little time in the shade every hour to give your skin a break.

Make sure you have everything you need for the rest of the day/night before you start drinking.  AKA don’t drink and drive.

Try to stick to the same type of drink during the day and night.  Mixing too many different types of alcohol is what causes you to get sick, and increases the intensity of your hangover.  Check out the next page for some great drink recipes that can transfer over from day to night.  And if you do find yourself unbearably hungover after your late-afternoon nap, page three has great food remedies.

[pagebreak]

Lemonade Punch

Ingredients: Lemonade (sold at the cave!)
Sprite (also sold at the cave!)
Red wine
Fresh lemons and oranges! (if you so choose)
This punch is the perfect day drink turned cocktail!  During the day combine 1 part lemonade and 1 part sprite with 2 parts red wine.  If you want to make a big batch to keep in a cooler for the day, cut up fresh lemon and orange slice to add natural flavoring.  For a low-cal version of this drink substitute the lemonade with lemon-flavored crystal light!  To switch over to nighttime spike your punch with a little citrus vodka!

Mimosas
Ingredients: Orange Juice
Champagne
Vodka
Mimosas are always a good go-to when day drinking.  Think of it as starting your day off with a tall glass of Vitamin C, plus champagne and vodka.  To avoid the sugar-induced hangover, ditch the champagne and make it a screwdriver.  Another great thing about this recipe is you can replace the orange juice with any other kind of juice you’re craving, such as a peach mixer or yummy orange tangerine juice.

Pina Colada Cooler

Ingredients: Coconut-Flavored Rum
Pineapple Juice
Sparkling Water
Coco Lopez Cream of Coconut Lite (available in the drink mixers section of the supermarket)
This twist on the traditional Pina Colada is a little more involved in terms of ingredients, but it’s definitely worth it!  Plus, substituting sparkling water into this recipe makes a healthier version of this usually caloric drink!

If you want to drink beer but are trying to avoid the belly, here are some good low-calorie options to enjoy in the sun!
Michelob Ultra (95 Calories per bottle)
Miller Lite (96 Calories per bottle)
Budweiser Select (99 Calories per bottle)

Sources: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lemonade-punch/detail.aspx
http://www.low-caloriediet.com/articles/low-calorie/calorie-beer-comparison
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/drinks/wine/low-calorie-cocktails/
http://cheekychicago.com/the-boundary-chicago/

[pagebreak]

As much as I’m a fan of “dreating” (drunk eating) a whole weekend of it can really catch up with you.  To avoid slipping into a post-spring weekend food coma, start each day off with water, and make sure you have something in your stomach before you start drinking.  In terms of what to eat while drinking—it’s hard not to binge on every barbeque you see.  However, there are some alternatives to stay somewhat healthy.  Instead of a grilled cheese, go for a grilled chicken caesar wrap.  Instead of ordering chicken fingers, opt for chicken wings—they are still just as satisfying without the extra calories from the breading.  Peanut butter on plain crackers or toast is another healthy alternative that will settle and coat your stomach to prepare you for the night.  Try your best to avoid greasy and salty food as your body has a harder time digesting dairy products, and salt will leave you dehydrated.  As for the morning after, they don’t call it “Fat Sunday” for nothing.

Sources: http://www.boldsky.com/health/wellness/2011/food-not-eat-alcohol-190911.html
http://www.avrev.com/theatrical-movie-reviews/theatrical/hangover-the-2009.html

Julia is a senior at Trinity College in Hartford, CT.  She is a double major in English and American Studies.  Julia serves on the English Adviosry Board, and is an active particpant in various performances on campus through the Thearter and Dance and the Music Department at Trinity.  She loves to write, has a passion for music and dance, and sometimes thinks she's as funny as Vince Vaughn.