How to Survive Spring Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

The time is finally upon us, everyone’s favorite excuse to day drink, Spring Weekend! Although we here at HC Trin love to pretend that we are all-knowing, even we need a couple tips to make it through this very long weekend. Here are our favorite pointers to keep you happy and healthy!

Make sure you have something to sit on. Head to Target or Wal-Mart and grab a large blanket or some chairs so you can rock out on the quad in style.

This may seem obvious, but wear sunscreen. You don’t want to be that lobster at the Psi-U after party. Ouch. At least invest in a lotion or tinted moisturizer with SPF!

Okay, here are the ones you all are waiting for. If you are going to day drink, pay attention to these following tips.

Do your best not to mix alcohol. Stick with either the twisted tea or the bud light, not both! This goes for the night too, try not to go from rum punch to screwdrivers. Your body will thank you in the morning.

Hydrate! This is the most important. Although you want to enjoy yourself all three days on the quad, you will not be able to if you can’t make it through one afternoon due to dehydration. Keep in mind that the sun is out, making you dehydrate faster. Pay attention to your body!

Eat a good meal. I know, I know, you don’t want to bloat in your shorts or make your arms look fat in pictures. Believe me, you will not regret eating a balanced breakfast. It sounds cliché, but you don’t need a nutritionist to tell you that beer and mixed drinks will not fill your empty stomach.

On that note, break for snacks. Make sure that you have snack packs on hand. My personal faves are cheez-its and granola bars. They are (slightly) nutritious, and will keep you going all day without letting you get sick.

Take a nap, but not too late. If 5pm rolls around and you really need a nap, set a 30 minute alarm. Sleeping for too long too late in t he day will only make you hungover, which no one wants.

As you are taking your break, reach for some supplements like Emergen-C. They will help you rehydrate and replace the vitamins and electrolytes you lost during the day.

You are going to think I’m nuts, but try to get a workout in. The benefits of getting your heart rate up are huge, and even a little walk on the treadmill will help you process the mai-tai’s and be ready to get back in the drinking saddle.

Most importantly, have fun! These are the days, so live it up, but don’t be a trainwreck. May the odds be ever in your favor. 

Samantha Rhodes is a junior at Trinity College studying art history. An avid art lover, she loves to make trips to museums, long walks on the beach, and people who talk with their hands. Baking takes up most of her free time, and doesn't hurt her social circle either.