Holiday Dorm Decor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

As the holiday season approaches and you opt out of laying out on the quad to cozying up in your warmest cable knit sweater and wool socks, nothing is better than feeling like the winter wonderland is just as enjoyable inside your room as it is outside. Rather than relying on the white christmas lights bordering your walls, here’s a few holiday decor ideas that will have you rockin’ around the christmas tree.

Dorm scent:

Not as overpowering as room spray, but stronger than potpourri, Wallflowers from Bath and Body works are the perfect way to add a little holiday cheer to the air (literally)! With a variety of different holiday night lights, what could be better than feeling like you’re walking into a bakery of freshly baked gingerbread or a christmas tree farm?! My personal favorite: Baroque Snowflake plug with ‘Tis The Season fragrance.

Coffee Table Centerpiece:

If a coffee table is the focal point in your room, arrange a variety of different objects- vases, candles, etc- for visual appeal, using shades of blue and silver for a long-lasting, winter themed display! Place a candle in red and green candies which will slowly heat them and create peppermint-scented air. For a fuller centerpiece, mix textures and objects such as candles, a bit of nature from holly leaves or pine corns, metallic ornaments of different colors and size, and classic holiday figures (like the reindeer as pictured below) in a silver or wooden platter.

Mantle Display:

For those of you on the Long Walk lucky enough to have an ornate fireplace in your dorm room, line the mantle with candle sticks, small tealights, a classic ruby red poinsettia, and simple garland. Choose silver silver and gold accents such as ribbon or beaded garlanded wrapped around a full, leafy garland for extra sparkle! 

Door Decor:

Rather than simply covering your door in wrapping paper and a giant sparkly bow, welcome friends with an understated and elegant wreath. Whether you choose a rustic or more elaborate design, this is a decoration that is timeless and easy to create!

Kelly is a junior at Trinity College, double majoring in English and American Studies. Besides being the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, she is a barista at Peter B's Espresso, Features Editor of The Trinity Tripod, and a member of the executive council for SGA.
American Studies Major at Trinity College