Dorm Room Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Trinity chapter.

As I look out my dorm room window, overlooking a quad covered in unseasonably early snow, my motivation to trek across campus to go to the gym has turned from a maybe to an absolute no! If you are feeling the same way, have no fear!  There is still a way to get a great workout without even leaving your room. I have come up with some great exercise ideas to keep you in shape during the winter months.

Stairs. You walk up them every day and don’t even realize what a great resource they are for staying fit! Start from the basement of your dorm and run up them all the way to the top of your building, and then speed walk back down. Repeat this for a total of five to ten times depending on what level of fitness you are at. Or simply walk up them while holding five to fifteen pound hand weights, repeating this as many times as listed above. Stair climbing exercises your quadriceps (front of thighs) and your butt! Walking up and down stairs is a great exercise and burns calories, in fact you can burn 300 calories for 30 minutes of this exercise.

Jump rope. A great fat-burning tool that can burn 100 calories in ten minutes! This is an easy and inexpensive exercise that can be done in any space. Make sure you keep your feet as low to the ground as possible when jumping to receive the best results! Try doing sets of two minutes with one minute breaks for five reps. This exercise works almost every muscle in your body and is great for toning your abs!

Exercise bands. These are a great piece of equipment that can be used in tons of ways to help tone your body. To increase the results of a push-up, place the band tight over your upper back and hold the ends tight under your hands, do reps of 25-50. Another great use is to tie the middle of the band to the edge of your bed leaving two equal tails, then stand 2-3 feet away from your bed, wrap the two ends around your hands and alternate pulling your arms back until the band is tight. If you want a challenge, add a squat in between each rep. Repeat 25 times on each arm, or as many as you feel comfortable with. Check online for a ton of band exercises that work all parts of your body!

Abs. There are so many great exercise moves that work your abs that can easily be done in any dorm room! For starters, there are the basics: crunches and planks. Here is a great twist on the normal plank thattightens and tones your hips, abs and lower back! Start in the plank position with your forearms propelling your body a few inches off the ground. You should also be on your toes to help you keep your back straight. Cross your right foot over your opposite leg and tap floor with your toes, then return to the starting position. Repeat with your left foot. The “bicycle” is another effective exercise. Lie face up and put your hands under your head. Bring your knees to the chest and lift your shoulder blades off the floor. Rotate to the left, bringing your right elbow to the left knee as you straighten the other leg. Switch sides, bringing your left elbow to your right knee. Continue alternating sides in a pedaling motion for 1-3 sets of 10-15 reps.

Exercise videos. Although this exercise idea may sound funny, there are many great videos out there ranging from belly dancing to cardio blasts that really give you a fantastic workout. Most of these videos don’t require any equipment, making them easy to do in the comfort of your own room. You can find these on hulu, fit tv, and in most superstores such as Target or Walmart. They can be a ton of fun and are great to do with a friend!
 Photo Source: http://www.anytimehealth.com/blog/11405-dorm-room-workout-routine
http://www.fitkit.com/Dorm.aspx

Julia is a senior at Trinity College in Hartford, CT.  She is a double major in English and American Studies.  Julia serves on the English Adviosry Board, and is an active particpant in various performances on campus through the Thearter and Dance and the Music Department at Trinity.  She loves to write, has a passion for music and dance, and sometimes thinks she's as funny as Vince Vaughn.