Your First Day of Classes: How to Prepare and What to Expect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Amongst all the excitement, chaos, and anxiety of going to college, there comes a time to buckle down and do what you came here to do. While you’re making new friends, joining clubs, and adapting to college life, it’s suddenly time to go to class. College classes are definitely more challenging than high school. The better you organize the more success you’re likely to find throughout the semester.

• Get a notebook for each class and a folder to go along with it; just a simple, one subject notebook will do. A one inch binder is also an easy way to keep your notes together. 

5-subject notebook available at the school store for $5.99

• Get a head start and print out your syllabus for each class from Blackboard before your first class. Your professor will go over it with the entire class and most likely expect you to already have it. Highlighter in hand, pay attention to the important information: when each exam is, how many absences are allotted, when office hours are, and what materials you’ll need. A good tip is that if your professor says something more than once, underline it, use a new color, anything to make the note bold enough for you to understand its importance.
  • The one thing you do want to wait for is purchasing books, trust me on this. The last thing you want to do is buy a textbook that costs over $100 just to find out that you’re never going to actually use it. The bookstore is expensive so check out your alternatives, like BookHolders or Amazon.
  • Ever since first grade, picking out your outfit for the first day of school has been major. Not anymore. Save all of your cute clothes for the weekend because the majority of TU students rock sweats to class almost every day. So don’t stress too much! In the fall, most students try to enjoy the last bit of summer weather before it starts to get cold. You’ll reluctantly transition from shorts to jeans as the weather cools down. It’s your last chance to show off your cool t-shirts and accessories before it’s time to layer up. 
    They don’t call Towson “Yoga Pants University” for nothing! Get these at Victoria Secrets for $34.50
  • Leave for class a little early. Give yourself time to get lost, whether it’s finding the right building or the right classroom, it’s okay. It happens to everyone. Getting to class early also gives you the opportunity to find a dope seat. Don’t immediately fall into bad habits; if it’s a challenging class, sit closer to the board or the professor. Sitting in the back of the classroom prompts you to get distracted easily and not pay attention.
  • In addition, don’t be too quick to whip out your laptop to take notes. Professors usually state whether or not they allow technology use in the classroom in the syllabus so be sure to check it (this also applies to cell phones). Professors will stop the lecture to call you out! Playing Candy Crush, checking Instagram or an email just isn’t worth the embarrassment.
  • Don’t be afraid to get to know your professors. They have hundreds of faces and names to memorize but yours might be the one to stick out if you introduce yourself after class. Professors will appreciate your attempt to get to know them and will more likely remember you if you come back again. Go to your professor’s office hours. Aside from getting one-on-one attention from your teacher, you can further give a good impression of yourself. If you can’t make it to office hours, email your professor and make an appointment with them; they will probably be more than willing to schedule you in.

Upon entering that first classroom, sitting in your first lecture seat, and before taking your first notes, come prepared with the right attitude for success. Remember your classes are always your number one priority. This is non-negotiable! Don’t get me wrong, college parties are amazing and the college social scene is a highlight for the rest of your lives, but if you keep your grades up from the get-go it’s smooth sailing from there. Good luck and enjoy your first year!

Jai-Leen James is a senior at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with concentrations in Journalism & New Media while and minoring in Electronic Media and Film.  She aspires to have a career in broadcasting. In addition to being a contributing writer for Her Campus, Jai-Leen plays club field hockey and club women’s lacrosse. She is the Vice President of Towson's chapter of the National Broadcast Society and an active member of WMJF, the student-run television station on campus. When she’s not busy participating in her various activities, Jai-Leen enjoys eating, watching The Office, and going to music festivals. Follow her on Twitter! @j_james17
Her Campus

Towson '25