Who is Stacey Dash?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Stacey Dash has done it again.

The Oscars had a lot of controversy this year to deal due to the lack of diversity of the nominees up for the award. Actors and actresses including Will Smith, Jada Pickett-Smith, and Spike Lee have decided to boycott the Oscars. However, Chris Rock, a famous comedian, still agreed to host the Oscars this past Sunday. But, that didn’t stop him from addressing the issue with a little humor.

Chris Rock took on the Hollywood’s race issue in his monologue, declaring, “You’re damn right Hollywood is racist” and appealing to the industry to give black actors the same opportunities as their white counterparts.” Then, he introduced actor and controversial Fox pundit Stacey Dash to the stage as the Academy’s new director of the “Minority outreach program.”

Stacey Dash was the same actor who called the #OscarsSoWhite boycott “ludicrous,” and said there was no need for Black History Month.

“I cannot wait to help my people out. Happy Black History Month,” she giggled. “Thank you.”

You can see the epic fail here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD3vLCENhOg

There are plenty of things wrong with this picture, but, I am only going to highlight a few. For Stacey Dash to say there is no reason for having Black History Month is ridiculous. The point of Black History Month is to learn more about African Americans and their history that they don’t learn about in schools. So, Stacey Dash shouldn’t be complaining because students are learning about more than Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement during the month of February.

And, lastly, to say there is no need for Black History Month is to say there is no need to learn about Latin American heritage or have Holocaust remembrance.

Think before you speak, Stacey Dash.

Aspiring editor-in-chief and owner/creator of a public relations firm.