What to Wear to an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

An interview is all about making a first impression, showing a possible employer who you are, and showcasing everything about you in a brief meeting. My go to staples for a business attire look are pencil skirts, blazers, blouses, ballet flats, and kitten heels. They may seem boring but it’s easy to make things more exciting with a little color and pattern.

Bottoms

Let’s start with bottoms. If you wear pencil skirts, make sure they fit you well and are not too short. They should be three to four inches above your knee. If you’re tall, be careful, they tend to ride up when you talk and sit. If you have a bigger butt, make sure your top covers it a little and you do not wear high heels. Ballet flats do look awkward at times but they aren’t the worst thing possible. Trouser or dress pants are super comfortable. For pants, you need, need, need to tuck in your shirt (I cannot stress that enough) or else you look sloppy. When your shirt is tucked in, you look put together. Make sure the pants are not too long or too short, a good solution to both is to wear heels because if they are short, it isn’t too obvious and they can always just pretend to be ankle length pants. If the pants are too long, heels easily add length so they don’t drag on the ground. My favorite new type of pants are trouser pants. They are a slim cut dress pants that hit the ankle. They do not flatter everyone but they offer a stylish alternative to plain dress pants.

Tops

Tops can range from easy to difficult. Button up blouses are the easiest thing to wear but become boring after a while. A white button up is a great staple to own, you never know when you will need it. Peplum tops are in style now, so wearing one and a cardigan or jacket would be cute over a pencil skirt or dress pants. Go as simple or complex as you want. It’s about comfort when you get the job, but for an interview, wear something that is you, but in a conservative way. Dressy tops are always good for layering and are still comfortable. I would wear a button up that is maybe striped and dress pants, or tucked into a pencil skirt. I like the trend of collared tops now because they’re dressy without the fuss. Underneath a cardigan, it’s simple and stylish.

Shoes

Shoes are difficult sometimes. You can wear heels, but nothing too high; I’m talking kitten heels. If its 4 inches or taller, I say no, depending on the type of interview and job. Think about it, you’re going to be racing to get to the interview on time, nervous while waiting, and if they give you a tour of the office, you have to walk in them. If heels are your thing, then go for it but don’t go tall especially if you’re wearing a skirt. Loafers and ballet flats are a comfy staple. You can get fun colors, prints, and styles. They go with anything.

Our First Lady rocks her kitten heels all the time. Although they may be Jimmy Choo’s, they’re kitten heels nonetheless!

Jewelry and Bags

When wearing jewelry, the rule “less is more” applies. If rings are your thing, you do not need one on every finger. A few rings are fine but think about shaking hands with people. They don’t need to bash their fingers with a bunch of rings. If you have a lot of piercings, wear studs and tame them too. Nothing like spikes or flashy ones, but its fine if you have a lot. One necklace is enough but make sure it’s nothing too flashy. If you wear bracelets, don’t load them up your arm. For a bag, you don’t need to go for a briefcase. You can use a purse but make sure you can put a folder with your resume and a planner in it. As long as your purse is appropriate, it should be fine.

Remember that this is just a general guideline for interview. Tailor your outfit to the place you are going to. If you are going to a government office, do not wear anything flashy or loud. If you are going to a fashion or editorial type of office, wear something stylish or whatever they represent. Most job interviews are basic, “don’t be too dressy but still look professional”. The best thing to wear to an interview is confidence and a smile. If you’re confident you’ll feel better about the interview and you’ll be a better interviewee. A smile shows you’re friendly and is better than anything you could wear. Good luck, and remember to be yourself! That’s why you have the interview! 

Emily is a sophomore at Towson University majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in journalism. She enjoys writing, listening to music, and going to concerts. She writes for Towson's newspaper (www.thetowerlight.com), on Tumblr (www.emilyimagines.tumblr.com), or on her Twitter (@dinoemmie). This is her second year on the HCTU staff and she is currently Vice President, She also enjoys creating graphics, marketing, and advertising. Emily aspires to be a magazine editor.