Ways to get motivated and have a healthy lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

With it being spring, and summer is that much closer to being here, many of us want to look and feel our best by exercising, eating right and becoming more motivated to having a healthy lifestyle. Many of us get discouraged because we believe it is too hard to change — after all, old habits die hard, right? Wrong. By following these tips, and making an attempt to make some changes in your life, it won’t be awful.

Tip 1: Drink a lot of water: Water is what hydrates us and keeps us cool. It is a known fact that you need about 8, 8 ounce cups of water daily. And in order to start a healthy lifestyle, drinking this much water is essential. It not only hydrates but rids your body of toxins, which is a good thing. You can even add lemon or other types of fruit to your water to make it taste amazing, and give you some added vitamins!

Tip 2: Moderation is key: If you have a junk food or sugar addiction, like most college students do, cutting it out completely can be hard to do. What I found works for me is eating it in moderation. The less I eat junk food, the better I feel. But since I do love my sweets, I will let myself have a bit of junk food every now and again.

Tip 3: Exercise: Exercise is important to maintain/ begin a healthy lifestyle. Instead of taking the shuttle you can walk to class. Instead of taking the elevator to the 5th floor, take the stairs. These are a few examples of choices you can make to gain a little exercise. Something I love to do is Yoga. You don’t really even need a mat to do it, you can easily do it on the floor, if you are careful enough. I use Yoga.com for inspiration and pose tutorials.

Tip 4: Eat a balance of foods: Don’t over eat protein, carbs, fruits or vegetables. Try to find the right balance of foods to keep you in good nutrition. The more color on your plate, the better it is for you.

MaryKate is Co President of Towson University's Her Campus Chapter. She is a Senior Communication Studies Major and graduates December 2017. She enjoys Indie Rock music such as Young The Giant, Arctic Monkeys, House of Lions and Catfish and The Bottlemen, just to name a few. She also enjoys chai tea, thrift shopping, Hawaiian pizza and Netflix as much as the next girl.