Towson Tantrums: Jeepers! Get Me Away From These College Bar Creepers!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.
Question for all you guys out there: What is it about some boys that makes them think just because they’re at a bar or party they can ignore all social and legal rules of dignity?  The girls reading this know exactly what I mean.  The way that several boys behave uptown is just disgusting and embarrassing!  This semester has been the worst yet as far as dealing with creepy guys uptown.

Almost every girl has encountered the problem of the stranger trying to dance with you at a party.  You’ll be dancing with your friends and all of the sudden someone’s body is on yours or some guys hands are around your waist- ew! Some of us are polite and dance with him, other of us give that wide-eyed look of disgust and annoyance to a nearby friend who comes to our rescue.  But lately, I’ve been driven to new levels as far as dealing with these creeps.   It’s bad enough to not be able to dance and have fun without being violated by some creep- but what happens when the creep won’t go away!  This past weekend I was goofing around with my friends at the Greene Turtle when out of nowhere some stranger is literally humping my leg like Samantha’s dog in the Sex and the City movie.  I finally thought to myself, if you’re going to behave like an animal- so you will be treated.  I literally shooed him off of me saying, “SCRAM!” and I don’t feel badly about it at all. Why should I?

She does not look happy

I noticed this was an all too common occurrence, so I started paying better attention to my surroundings.  Sadly, what I noticed was pathetic and disturbing.  Some guys will literally scan the dance floor for a girl without a partner and just attach to her without question.  If I had a dollar for every time I’ve noticed a girl making the FML face when a guy starts dancing with her, I’d probably drop out of school and just be a billionaire.  Like come on- whatever happened to asking a girl to dance with you?  I think I’d have so much appreciation for a guy that asks permission that I’d dance with him regardless of there being no initial attraction.

Another annoying thing is how touchy most guys are in general when they’re in a drinking environment.  Maybe being the sober girl at the bar as helped me realize this issue more than most my friends, but they all agree it is an issue.  Last weekend I was trying to leave the bar and I get that it’s crowded and bumping into people is inevitable, but could a Physics major please explain how brushing past another person requires grabbing their butt!?  After that happened my inner be-yotch surfaced quite quickly.  I think at one point I even screamed, “I’M NOT A RAILING YOU DON’T NEED TO GRAB ME WHEN YOU WALK BY!”

Not interested!

I get that guys have the burden of facing rejection when approaching a girl and that must be hard.  But that alone doesn’t constitute the right to violate a girl!  The things that guys do at bars would be enough to be arrested and labeled a sex offender if they did it on the street.  I’ve been groped, grabbed, and grinded on ONE too many times! If boys label me here-on-out as conceited and rude for such harsh/aggressive rejection that is FINE by me- because I can likewise label them perverts and sex offenders for such aggressive approaches. Beyond this being annoying, it’s also more serious than that. These are clear-as-day SEX OFFENSES and just because you’re at a bar doesn’t make it okay to do, gentlemen.  The mere fact that a girl is present doesn’t mean you can grab her.  I don’t know about the rest of you ladies, but my tolerance for this has gone severely down.  I should be able to wear what I want, go where I want and dance as I like to without fear of being assaulted.  Next time this happens to me, I’m definitely whipping out some defense moves from Miss. Congeniality.

Emmie G. is a graduating from the Honors College at Towson University where she is currently pre-law and majoring in English with a concentration in writing. In Fall 2013 she will attend law school.  She is the Vice President of Her Campus Towson as well as the author of the branch's advice column, Ask Andi. Writing is one of Emmie's favorite hobbies and she enjoys writing and editing articles for Her Campus. In 2012, Emmie was the managerial editor of and was published in a poetry anthology produced by her undergraduate class. 
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.