Culture > Digital

The Paradox of Relatability: When Influencers’ Rise to Fame Detaches Them from Their Audience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

By Allyyah Aali

In the age of social media, relatability has become a prized currency for influencers seeking to connect with their audience on a personal level. The rise to fame of influencers like Jackie Aina, Monet McMchielle and Emma Chamberlain, who initially gained popularity for their relatability, has led to a paradoxical phenomenon. As they ascend the ladder of fame, they risk becoming disconnected from the very audience they once resonated with.

The Illusion of Relatability

Jackie Aina, Monet McMchielle and Emma Chamberlain are shining examples of influencers who captivated their audience with their down-to-earth personas. They shared everyday struggles, relatable anecdotes and genuine experiences, making their followers feel understood and seen. Their popularity soared because people identified with their authenticity.

The Pitfalls of Stardom

As influencers ascend the ladder of fame, their lives undergo a significant transformation. Jet-setting to exotic locations, adorned with luxury goods, and gracing red carpets, they showcase a life that contrasts their earlier relatable narratives. This shift can cause a growing disconnect between the influencers and their audience. Their experiences become aspirational, rather than relatable and the gap between their followers’ lives and theirs widens.

Monet McMchielle: A Tale of Transformation

Take, for instance, Monet McMchielle, whose YouTube channel began as a platform for thrift shopping and DIY fashion. Her early content resonated with audiences seeking style inspiration without breaking the bank. However, as she gained prominence, her videos started featuring high-end brands and extravagant hauls. Her newfound affinity for luxury brands, though reflective of her success, can alienate her original audience who may no longer see her as relatable.

Jackie Aina and Emma Chamberlain: Authenticity Amidst Fame

Jackie Aina’s journey from a relatable beauty enthusiast to a globally recognized beauty influencer has been inspiring. While she remains grounded and continues to advocate for inclusivity in the beauty industry, her collaborations with high-end brands and participation in glamorous events can create a divide between her and her audience.

Emma Chamberlain’s charm was her unfiltered and relatable personality that resonated with Gen Z. However, as her fame grew, so did her access to exclusive events and opportunities. While she acknowledges the change in her lifestyle, her humor and authenticity still bridge the gap between her and her audience, reminding them that fame doesn’t necessarily change the core of who she is.

Navigating the Dilemma

In the era of influencers, the challenge lies in maintaining a delicate balance between relatability and growth. It is a testament to their authenticity when influencers like Jackie Aina, Monet McMchielle and Emma Chamberlain openly address the evolution of their lifestyles and acknowledge their changing circumstances. By acknowledging their privilege and staying true to their values, they can remain accessible to their audience while embracing their newfound fame.

Conclusion

The paradox of relatability faced by influencers like Jackie Aina, Monet McMchielle and Emma Chamberlain underscores the complex relationship between authenticity, fame, and accessibility. As influencers navigate their journey from everyday individuals to celebrities, they must remain cognizant of the factors that initially endeared them to their audience. It is in their hands to ensure that the authenticity that brought them fame does not crumble under the weight of stardom. In doing so, they can preserve the connections they’ve forged while embracing the transformative power of their influence.

Allyyah Aali

Towson '26

I'm Allyyah Aali, currently a sophomore at Towson University, and my interests lie at the intersection of fashion, society, history, and even some daring exposés. I've always been fascinated by how fashion and society are intertwined, influencing and reflecting each other in profound ways. To me, fashion is more than just clothing; it's a form of self-expression and a mirror reflecting our cultural values and norms. One of my greatest passions is delving into the annals of fashion history. There's something truly captivating about unraveling the stories behind iconic garments and designers. I believe that understanding our fashion heritage is essential to predicting and shaping future trends. In addition to my academic pursuits, I'm also drawn to exploring the provocative and controversial aspects of fashion, particularly through exposés on the sensual side of the industry. The interplay between sensuality, identity, and fashion is a subject that continually intrigues me, and I'm dedicated to providing thoughtful commentary on it. Looking ahead, my dreams revolve around a career in fashion journalism and advertising. I envision myself crafting engaging articles for top-tier fashion magazines, shedding light on the nuances of the industry and dissecting its social implications. Simultaneously, I hope to be part of the creative process, perhaps even designing clothing that challenges conventions and inspires change. With my passion for understanding the complex relationship between fashion, society, history, and sensuality, I'm excited to make a lasting impact in the fashion world. I aim to use my unique perspective to spark conversations and drive positive change in this ever-evolving industry.