Spring Awakening: The Spring Musical

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

Spring Awakening, the spring musical at Towson University this year, has been the talk amongst Tigers recently. Having heard nothing but great things about it, I decided to check it out for myself. As a freshman it was my first time to see a musical on campus, so I was so excited I was almost nervous.

I wasn’t surprised to see a lobby full of people. Towson is full of people who love and appreciate the arts just as much – if not more – than I do. People who were familiar with the musical, people who were forced to go for a class, family and friends of the cast, or people who wanted to support their fellow Tigers, like me.

Directed and choreographed brilliantly by MFA alumnus Joseph Ritsch, Spring Awakening was easily one of the best musicals I have ever seen. With relatable characters, breathtaking musical numbers, and an amazing set, how can you go wrong?

The musical is takes place in 1891 in a provincial German town where parents shelter their children from anything and everything secular. The problem is; they’re not children anymore. They’re teenagers who are ready to explore the world, doubting the things their parents tell them little by little as more things come into light. It’s very dark and certainly for mature audiences; touching on themes of abuse, homosexuality, sex, and suicide.

Junior Bridget Linsenmeyer as Wendla, the female lead, and freshman Nick Fruit as Melchior, the male lead, along with an incredibly talented supporting cast of all ages, made sure the show was never a chore to watch. I felt like I connected to each character in some way or another. Each musical number was incredibly enjoyable; the crowd favorite being, “Totally F*cked.”

Lastly, everyone was completely personable while greeting people who saw the show after it was over, which is always an incredible thing to witness. A humble cast is a great cast.

Click here to check out the next time you can see the show as well as order your ticket.

Pictures courtesy of Cydney Humphrey.

Cydney is a senior at Towson University majoring in English with a focus on writing. In addition to being President/Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Towson, she always writes fictional stories in her free time. Cydney spends a lot of time online shopping, on Netflix, dreaming of buying purses and reading a good book all while hunched over her handy dandy iPhone. After college Cydney plans to write her own books and to go to as many concerts as possible.
Her Campus

Towson '25