Six Ways To Relax During Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

The semester is finally over and you feel warn out. You’ve pulled all nighters and coffee became your new best friend. Not only did you have to write a million papers, but you also had to study for final exams. During the semester, you were completely stressed. How exactly do you wind down after it’s all over? Here are six ways to reduce stress and relax during your winter break.

Move your body

Go outside for a walk or head to the gym. Go to a dance club with friends or take a yoga class. Try kickboxing or Zumba. Moving your body will get your breath going, take your mind off of that to do list and burn off adrenaline that naturally releases when you are stressed.  

Laugh. Find something funny

Watch something funny on YouTube or talk to someone who makes you laugh. Rent a funny movie or stand up comedy. Find things you love to do and really let yourself go because if your smiling, that means you feel good. Laughing is always the best and cheapest medicine you can find.   

Practice meditation

Find time in the day to clear your mind from clutter. Remove yourself mentally from the daily grind and take a break. Find a comfortable, quiet place to sit or lie down and just close your eyes. Play relaxing music or use candles if its at night. Meditating will lower your blood pressure, heart rate and will bring overall feelings of well-being.   

Change your attitude

Thinking negative about something will only make you feel worse. Remember to take it one day at a time and don’t take on too much. Think about all the good things that have happened so far. Don’t always think about the worse that could happen. Also, keep positive people around you so you can feed off their energy.    

Get creative

Creativity can come in many forms such as writing, cooking, jewelry making, drawing, painting, photography, crafting and more! Now that the semester is over, you’ll have time to invest into something you enjoy doing. No homework, no exams….just focus on your craft. 

Listen to music

Listening to your favorite type of music can release a lot of stress hormones. Play music while your cleaning or find the perfect album to play while your driving. Listen to music that can put you in a good mood. Maybe even update your iPod with new music from the latest artists. Whether its R&B, Rock, Pop or Country, let music take your mind to another place. 

You can follow me on Twitter, Facebook and read my blog! Xo, Brittany.

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.