Quick Tips to Beat the Winter Blues and Make You Look Fresh, Even on the Coldest of Days!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

We all have those mornings where we not only feel as if we could go for a whole winter hibernation, but we look like it too. You know those mornings I’m talking about. Your hair’s a disaster and you’re considering tossing your Kleenex into the bags under your eyes rather than your trashcan after you wipe off the mascara swept across your face from the night before. I’ve certainly been there numerous times and I’ve found a few tips and tricks that get me through at least one or two classes looking like a put-together woman, cause let’s face it – going to class in your checkered pajama bottoms (with a hole in the crotch) just isn’t socially acceptable these days.

Tip #1 Wash Your Face and Apply Mascara and Lipgloss if Nothing Else

Mascara is my go-to makeup when I don’t have time for anything else and it naturally makes my eyes look bold and my face more awake! Lipgloss you can easily sweep on when you’re heading out the door (always keep some in your pocket or purse for touch-ups!) These two simple and quick products can make anyone look a little more alive, even on Monday mornings, I promise! I love Maybelline Great Lash mascara – it’s super cheap and works wonders. Burt’s Bees makes an amazing tinted lip shimmer; I use this every single day in the color “Fig.”

Tip #2 Wear Something Fashionable, Yet Comfortable and Accessorize!

You’re already daydreaming of being back in your bed while walking to class, so make it somewhat of a reality with a comfy sweater, hoodie or jacket paired with leggings or jeans and let your accessories do the talking if your outfit is a little bland. My personal favorite place to get accessories to jazz up a lazy-day outfit is Forever 21 – Towson Town Center has  a HUGE one with plenty of accessories to dig through!

Tip #3 Grab a Coffee!

There are plenty of Starbucks locations all over the Towson campus as well as free-standing Starbucks in the surrounding area as well. Coffee not only wakes you up, it keeps you warm on those cold wintry days as well. Since springtime is just around the corner, think about trying an iced coffee one day as well! Call me a Plain Jane, but there’s nothing better than their original Pike Place blend or some hot Tazo Passion tea!

Tip #4 Last, But Certainly Not Least, Smile (As Long As You’ve Brushed Your Teeth!)

There’s nothing worse than someone who looks and acts like a grump. Happiness is contagious and so are smiles; consider buying an extra coffee for the person in line behind you or holding the door for someone, even if they’re 20 feet away. Simple gestures like this not only make other people’s days bright, but yours as well.

Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.