Making or Breaking the First Date.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

A lot of things go into a first date. Where are you going to go? What are you going to wear? What if it’s awkward? Do you kiss on the first date? What should or should you not talk about? Well, don’t fret. First dates should be laid back, easy, and not stressful. Be yourself and just let things unfold.

Some great places to go for a first date would be the classic dinner/lunch date; you could go to Bahama Breeze, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, or The Melting Pot. Another idea is going to The National Aquarium in the Inner Harbor or the Baltimore Zoo. Some seasonal ideas for the months coming up could be going ice skating at Mount Pleasant Ice Rink, going to Weber’s Farm Pumpkin Patch to get some hot cider, or if you’re more laid back you both could make a homemade pizza together at your off campus apartment. 

So now that you’ve hopefully got an idea on where to go let’s touch base on what you should and shouldn’t do on a first date.

DON’T….

1. Don’t talk too much about yourself. It’s good to be talkative and keep the conversation going, but if everything is about you.. well that won’t be fun for your date. Be sure to include them in everything you say and ask them questions to find out their interests as well.

2. Do not text or tweet! This is one of the worst things that people do these days. While you are on your date (especially if you’re making a first impression) keep the phone away and out of your hands. If you use it while on the date it’ll cause awkward silence, your date will think you’re bored, and it ruins the overall mood.

3. I wouldn’t recommend going to the movies for a first date. This may sound surprising because going to see a movie may seem like the stereotypical first date option but going on a date like this means that you and your date will be sitting in a dark theater silently watching a movie for hours. Instead go someplace where you both can talk and get to know each other.

4. Do not talk about other guys. I repeat do NOT talk about other guys from your past. This is a one way ticket to never being asked out again by your date. Instead, talk about yourself or some fun things you’ve done with your closest girlfriends. Don’t compare, bring up, or talk about things you’ve done with an ex unless your date asks.

DO…

1. Act interested in what your date is saying (even if you’re really not that interested). A date only lasts a few hours at the most, so if you have to pretend to be really interested in what’s going on, it won’t kill you. This once again relates to staying off of your cellphone, be in tune to what you’re date is saying and make them feel important.

2. Make eye contact! Eye contact is essential to making a connection and improving chemistry. Making eye contact will also convey your interest and confidence. Now, this doesn’t mean you have to have a staring contest with your date but even if it’s just an extra second or two of eye contact here and there it can make a bigger difference than you may think.

3. Offer to pay (even though nine times out of ten he won’t let you pay a penny). This tactic, such as reaching for the check when it comes or pulling out your wallet, shows that you don’t feel entitled or automatically worthy of being paid for. It’s a nice subtle touch of showing your nice humble side.

4. Be on time. Just think, would you want your date to show up late? Didn’t think so. Be sure you are at the date when it’s scheduled,or be ready by the time your date comes to pick you up. If you’re late that sends a bad vibe right off the bat and shows that you might not care too much about the date.

Now that you’ve got an idea for your first date and you know what to do and what not to do, you are good to go! If it’s meant to be, it will be. It’s okay if things aren’t perfect. Just stay calm and keep these pieces of advice in mind. Good luck ladies! 

Hey everyone! My name is Kelly and I am currently a sophomore at Towson University. I am studying mass communcations with a primary focus in public relations. 
Her Campus

Towson '25