Let’s stop fearing the freshman fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

I think I’m not alone here in thinking that we’ve all fearing the freshmen 15 at one point or another.

Many people believe that  when you are going to college you are destined to gain weight that you never imagined you would gain. Technically, that’s not true.

I’d personally feared the same thing. I came into school  5′ 2” and 117lbs. Before coming to college, I was never self-conscious about my weight. I came from a high school with a graduating class of about 101 students, which was actually considered a large number at my school. I didn’t have much diversity or many different body types to compare myself to. But when I walked onto campus for the first time, I realized I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. There were girls smaller than me, bigger than me and the same size. Upon meeting my first group of friends, I met a girl that was the exact same height as me, but her weight didn’t [appear] to reach over 95 pounds…

I haven’t been 95 pounds since I was in the 8th grade. Then, I met another girl who wasn’t much larger than my first friend — maybe even the same size — with a solid 6-pack… . This made me feel great. For a while, I went into a depression over the weight I’d come to school with and thought I was just destined to gain even more weight.

As time went on and I began to become more familiar with my surroundings, I developed a method that worked for me and it might work for you!

1. If you have dining halls at your school, try to limit eating at them to about 6 times a week.
  2. When eating there, the first thing you should do is make yourself a salad — with every meal you eat, make yourself a salad.
  3. Stay away from the greasy or fried food; try to get pasta, vegetable, or chicken.
  4. Before you eat your main course, eat your salad. Fill yourself with something that is healthy and doesn’t contain a lot of fat.
  5. Finish your meal. (Don’t fill yourself to the point where you feel like you are going to be sick, though.)
  6. You can even treat yourself with 1 scoop of ice cream… Remember: PORTION CONTROL.
  7. Try to make the gym at least three times a week for an hour to an hour and a half. If you can make all seven days, great! Just try to go for at least three.

These pointers helped me my first semester. As I told you, I came into college 117 lbs, and left for winter break 110 lbs. So, give this method a try… it doesn’t require too much effort! Let me know how it goes for you!

Shoot me an email to tell your story or ask for some advice at nikkiroeill@gmail.com and follow me on Twitter @NikkiRoeill