LEAVE IT TO EVA: Buy something for yourself and help the world!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Towson chapter.

You’re a young college lady and you’ve just gotten your first job—maybe you’re a barista at a café, maybe you’re working in the student store or maybe you’re babysitting around town. Suddenly, you have a little spending money, and you want some cute stuff! The thing is, if you make certain choices when you go shopping, you can improve not only your own life, but the lives of others.

Lush products are good for your skin and the environment

Stores like Lush Ltd. and American Eagle Outfitters sell their products in recyclable packaging, so you don’t have to worry about nasty plastic bags clogging up landfills. American Eagle Outfitters also has energy savings stipulations for their corporate offices and transportation services, and they prohibit the use of fur in their clothing. Lush Ltd. is notoriously active against animal cruelty, and supports over 80 charities! When the earthquake struck Japan last year, Lush created special Rising Sun soaps to support rebuilding efforts.

The (RED) foundation, which was set up to help stop the transmission of HIV/AIDS, has partnerships with all kinds of companies. Proceeds from the sale of red classic Converse shoes will go towards the foundation. There’s a pair of Dr. Dre Beats specifically made to support the cause, which you can buy through Apple and Dell (and Apple sells a special red iPod that supports the cause too).

Everyone wants to indulge in something sweet. Stop by Starbucks for a salted caramel latte, and you can pick up a Create Jobs for USA wristband. The funds raised by wristband purchases help create and support small businesses here in America, with the intention of lowering the current unemployment rate.  The bands are cute and subtle, and the program’s VP just announced that thanks to the project, 2,300 American jobs have been created and retained. Nice! And don’t forget how environmentally and human rights friendly Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is. If you want to satisfy your sweet tooth, you can do so in a way that’s helping others.

Buxom cares about Fido!

Animal lovers can indulge in some fun eye shadow from Sephora. Buxom brand cosmetics now offer eye shadow with fun canine names like Collie and Husky for $17 apiece. The eye shadow sales support Canine Companions for Independence, a nonprofit that provides assistant dogs for those with disabilities. 

A journalism major and art history minor, I love writing, research and shopping trips! I'm also always on the lookout for money saving tips and tricks.
Alexandra (Ali) Pannoni is a senior at Towson University majoring in journalism with a minor in theatre. She is the founder and editor-in-chief of Her Campus Towson. As the Campus Celebrity columnist for Her Campus Towson, Ali has interviewed Country Music Superstar Chuck Wicks and Major League Baseball Player Casper Wells. In Spring 2012 she was an editorial intern with Baltimore magazine. Currently she is an intern for the nationally syndicated radio morning show, The Kane Show, heard locally on HOT 99.5 in Washington D.C. and Z104.3 in Baltimore.  You can view some of her published work for Baltimore magazine on her website. She loves reading magazines, (attempting) to run, and hanging out with friends and family.